Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasper is nearly 15 months old, and his pulling on a lead is getting worse. He did go to puppy classes when he was little and wouldnt walk there. I have tried the walking backward technique, a harness, a halti, a extendable lead. He just hate all leads. He will walk great off a lead, happily walk along next to us, but put a lead on him...I am unable to walk him myself as he pulls so bad, and he has been known to pull me over :doh:. Does anyone have any advice or can recommend a harness that actaully works and lessens the pulling? My husband and I work on him everytime we are out, but nothing works. He just hates leads. It is making walking his an unplesant and frustrating experience, for me, my husband and my other dog (who does walk lovely on a lead). Any advice would be greatly apreciated!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I use the Easy Walk harness and I love it. I can walk all three of my dogs at one time, with one hand. And my lab/golden is a horrible puller, except when she is wearing her harness. Or when I have told her to heel, which is not something that is easy to do when walking three dogs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we tried treats, the "crazy lady" and a couple other things, but the only thing that Hurley responded to and works (unless he sees a person or rolling bottle!) is just stopping and waiting for him to relax... even if you only go 1 block in 30 minutes. for most goldens, the walk is the treat, so if they cant walk they will figure out what they have to do to be able to walk. when doing this training, you can't give him one inch of leeway, if he pulls, you wait for him to relax! :)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
we tried treats, the "crazy lady" and a couple other things, but the only thing that Hurley responded to and works (unless he sees a person or rolling bottle!) is just stopping and waiting for him to relax... even if you only go 1 block in 30 minutes. for most goldens, the walk is the treat, so if they cant walk they will figure out what they have to do to be able to walk. when doing this training, you can't give him one inch of leeway, if he pulls, you wait for him to relax! :)
I was taught this at Bridger's class & tried it with my very active, headstrong, untrained 7 y/o lab - -- it works! I've got it so after about 3 times of stopping & not letting her go ahead until leash tension is gone she relaxes. DOES NOT WORK with my husband or walking partner -- neither is willing to do that much stopping

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
This is the most unique harness that I've found. Instead of coming under the shoulder, around the leg, around the nose, etc. it goes under the stomach & gently squeezes the ribcage if they pull - no stress to the neck, shoulders, legs, etc. with other harnesses. It also duals as a great seatbelt harness/restraint in the vehicle. This is the only harness I'll ever buy again. I love it!

http://tugnhug.com/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank youfor your help. I am going to have a look online at the different suggestions. I'll try them all if it means I can take him for a walk without being pulled over!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a slightly similar problem....Lisa only pulls insanely when she sees rabbits, then it's fish flopping time and I have to stop and wait.

Doesn't seem to work though.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I know it isn't a harness but I have had great success with the Gentle Leader...and this is from a dog who was released from the guide dog program from attempting to rub off his jacket ALL THE TIME. The key is acclimating the dog to the GL with treats and the proper fit.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I use the Sensible harness on Misty..It GREAT!! WE have such nice walks now!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
we also use the gentle leader and have had great success with it we tried different harnesses and she is too strong but with the gentle leader she walks great and we got the one that is the same colour as her (beige) so it doesn't look as bad as the black one.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I also use the Easy Walk Harness by Premier. Remember.. nothing is going to stop the pulling except training.. These harnesses are going to make them easier to control until you teach them not to pull. I still put them on mine because I walk both at once.. and if a stray dog comes up or some children they are way easier to handle..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts