Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From The Dog Food Advisor

April 30, 2021 — Zuke’s has voluntarily removed its popular Zuke’s Mini Naturals Dog Treats from retail stores due to “a potential quality issue”.

In an online letter to customers, the company states this is “not a recall” and that the cause is “not a food safety issue”.

Dog Food Advisor has requested and is awaiting a company response. We’ll update this page as soon as more information is available.

Popular Dog Treats Removed from Stores | Dog Food Advisor

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for sharing! We opened a new bag a couple of weeks ago and just this past week I was thinking that this bag seemed different than the others, though I couldn’t pinpoint why. Luckily Beckett likes his kibble just as much as his Zukes for training treats so I guess we’ll go back to that for now.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are some of Honey's favorite treats.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
The issue is mold. I’ve heard two different stories... one that there were small holes in the packaging that allowed air into the product and the other that there was sort of deficiency in the ingredients that allowed mold to grow. Either way, in the photos I saw the mold was very obvious, so if you have a current bag of the product, check it carefully...

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue is mold. I’ve heard two different stories... one that there were small holes in the packaging that allowed air into the product and the other that there was sort of deficiency in the ingredients that allowed mold to grow. Either way, in the photos I saw the mold was very obvious, so if you have a current bag of the product, check it carefully...
Thanks for the info. I don't currently have any but I always check for off color, smell, anything unusual and I pay close attention if Honey (or Puds before he passed) refused food or treats.

·
Registered
119 Posts
They updated their website to say it was an issue with the preservatives in the ingredients. I threw Beckett’s out since the PB ones were on the list. I examined them closer and they felt more moist, almost sticky, after recently being open. Glad we didn’t make it too far into the bag, though of course Beckett didn’t notice 🤦🏻‍♀️ I put his treats into an airtight container and tossed the bag so I couldn’t check the lot number to see if it was affected but better safe than sorry. He hasn’t minded his kibble as training treats this week!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts