Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really proud of how Tess functions as a therapy dog...We go to two hospitals at the moment, and she does so well! There are so many things we never, ever trained for, like the machine that waxes the floor, the fire alarm that goes off (that's loud in a hospital...!), the lady that can't move her fingers and doesn't pet but 'hits', the lady that thinks crayons are excellent dog cookies, all the machines that can surround the very sick patient, who desperately wants a visit....too many things, really.
Sometimes she sits back, wanting out. That's the moment we leave the room. That mostly happens when people get really too much in her face for too long. But most of the times she lets happen what happens, and wags her tail doing it.
One thing stays with me after the visits, that is how it is almost impossible to train for therapy dog work. I did several classes, an exam, three walk throughs, and still there is something new every time we go. I thought I knew my girl, but she amazes me every time!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Tess

Tess:

You are a wonderful girl and must give the patients SO MUCH JOY!!;)
Your Mom has EVERY right to be PROUD OF YOU!!:wave:

Reactions: inge

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
This is so cool to read! Remy is 5 mos now but we want to get him into therapy work once he's of age. We are planning to take at least one therapy class before... We are so so excited! He's such a calm boy, even as a puppy, I think he will do well!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is so cool to read! Remy is 5 mos now but we want to get him into therapy work once he's of age. We are planning to take at least one therapy class before... We are so so excited! He's such a calm boy, even as a puppy, I think he will do well!
What really helps a lot, is taking Obedience Classes. It makes all the difference if he listens in all circumstances. I am really serious about the remark that something we never trained for happens all the time. And that's the moment they need to look at you and obey immediately. Believe me, Tess is no angel, and she is a crazy puppy when she is playing with my sons at home, but in the hospital she knows she is working, and that makes all the difference...I hope you take Remy that route...it's very much needed!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
So very proud of you Tess and your Mommie for training and taking you to visit these wonderful folks. You are doing a really GOOD thing and Tess is a beautiful girl. Very Proud.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
well done, and you should be proud! Therapy work is so rewarding for both you and the people you are visiting, I think that's awesome that you are doing it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You should be proud of Tess. What a good girl. I totally agree with you that obedience class is important. Jackson is like Tess, my wild child at home. But on his first therapy visit yesterday at the nursing home he was a gem. All kinds of activity going on, stuff dropping on the floor, and your dog needs to be paying attention to you not only for the safety of the patients but the safety of your dog also. It was a truly rewarding experience.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I so hear you on the events that can not be trained for in a therapy class!!! I have a new therapy dog, Dundee, and we are doing several nursing homes and a couple of hospitals. One of the hospitals that we are doing is the VA in Tomah and they are under construction all the time. You never know when a very loud machine is going to start up or where the noise is going to come from. He, so far, is handling all the new sights and noises well but I do watch him very close for any signs of stress and move to another area if any is noted. I'm sure you are finding this as rewarding as we are and I want to say congratulation on getting you Therapy Dog certification and may you and Tess fill many peoples lives with a smile. Keep up the good work Tess:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
thats awesome! i used to work at a nursing home, and we had therapy dogs visit. my residents loved that ! i think you are doing a wonderful thing. we wanted our julie to become a therapy dog, but she has a hard time walking on tile floor because she is missing a front leg. so she just visits all my children friends.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Thank you. I still haven't given up on one day doing therapy work with Darby and first hand information like you posted is invaluable.

Congratulation to Tess very well done.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Gunner is a therapy dog too. We have not visited any hospitals yet but visit a nursing home and an assisted living. I agree 100% with you that you can't always train them because things happen that wouldn't happen in a classroom. Taking obedience classes is a must. Congratulations Tess!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think it's really awesome that so many people who are interested in therapy work or doing it post in this thread. I knew there were a lot more around on the forum! Thank you all!

·
Registered
850 Posts
One thing stays with me after the visits, that is how it is almost impossible to train for therapy dog work. I did several classes, an exam, three walk throughs, and still there is something new every time we go. I thought I knew my girl, but she amazes me every time!
Thank you for sharing your experiences with Tess as a therapy dog team. She sounds like a natural for therapy work. Elliot and I are taking the Delta exam next Monday. Our practice exam went very well. Elliot was more calm and relaxed than I was!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I thinking it's really awesome that so many people who are interested in therapy work or doing it post in this thread. I knew there were a lot more around on the forum! Thank you all!
I wonder if we could start a sub-forum for therapy dogs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts