Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched a interesting programme about the relationship between humans and dogs...I normally cringe when watching dog programmes for the general public (especially after pedigree dogs exposed!) but this was actually very informative and interesting...plus there is a gorgeous golden briefly featured! I will link the bbc i-player, I'm not sure if you can view it in other countries but worth a try...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pssgh/Horizon_20092010_The_Secret_Life_of_the_Dog/

We have an extraordinary relationship with dogs - closer than with any other animal on the planet. But what makes the bond between us so special?

Research into dogs is gaining momentum, and scientists are investigating them like never before. From the latest fossil evidence, to the sequencing of the canine genome, to cognitive experiments, dogs are fast turning into the new chimps as a window into understanding ourselves.

Where does this relationship come from? In Siberia, a unique breeding experiment reveals the astonishing secret of how dogs evolved from wolves. Swedish scientists demonstrate how the human/dog bond is controlled by a powerful hormone also responsible for bonding mothers to their babies.

Why are dogs so good at reading our emotions? Horizon meets Betsy, reputedly the world's most intelligent dog, and compares her incredible abilities to those of children. Man's best friend has recently gone one step further - helping us identify genes responsible for causing human diseases.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I have BBC America and love watching it, so maybe it will come on here.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
it was a great programe and Betsy the collie was just something else she knew the name of all of her toys and even knew which one to get if you showed her a photo of it
aparently she knows about 300 words oh and she was gorgeous too ;)

·
goldenfan
704 Posts
Super programme and what I found so good was, how pleased the scientists were with the gene pool in pedigree dgs because it had enabled them to identify which gene caused cardiomyopathy in Boxers and so help their research into humans with the disease. Annef

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
i missed watching it last night, my DH recorded it for me to watch, i'm only half way through, totally fascinating. i found the links on youtube for anyone who's interested

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Thanks for the links Mist. I can spend hour upon hour watching docs and especially love it when its about dogs.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
i did feel awful for the little foxes in cages (Russia i think) especially the tame ones. they were adorable, wonder where i can get one from lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i did feel awful for the little foxes in cages (Russia i think) especially the tame ones. they were adorable, wonder where i can get one from lol
oh I know...it was horrible seeing them in those cages, do you think they stay in them all the time? Incredible findings though, wasn't it amazing how their features changed just when focusing on the tameness of the fox.

Also it was really sad the way they just shoved the tame wolf back in with the 'wild' ones...it looked terrified, you'd think they could have slowly introduced it back in.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thank you for the links!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
It was very interesting, but found the conditions in which the artic foxes were kept disturbing - I know they are usually kept like in fur farms.

Unfortunately (for me) hubby watched it too, and immediately picked up on the comment that dog owners spend £20,000 on their dog during it's lifetime, tried telling him they got it wrong and it's the owners lifetime:D but he ain't falling for that one:no:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts