Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
i think i am going to tape up her foot, so her nails are covered.
We have dog booties for that purpose! You can also use children's or baby's socks with an elastic velcro closure around it. That distracted one of my dogs enough to where he didn't scratch his spot but became intent on getting the sock off! Good luck!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe you are only supposed to use the neo/pred/def when the spot is just beginning--1 to 3 days max. It's basically to stop them early in their tracks and prevent them from expanding like crazy. Fostermom may have better information on how to use.
The vet didn't give me a limit of time to use it. I only needed it for 2-3 days before the antibiotics healed him up enough that I didn't need it any more. But, his wasn't nearly as bad as Molli's. It had not even gotten to the hotspot stage. I honestly thought he might have gotten mange (our foster had suspected mange) and that's why I took him in.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Shadow had gotten the huge hot spot. Tucker has only gotten one and we had to really work hard to keep SHADOW away from it! Ugh...

It will clear up. When they shave that hair away it is amazing how large these things can be. It's good that the hair is gone because so is the nasty bacteria that resides in the goo.

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts
Oh gosh... that looks just aweful. The words "hot spot" just make me cringe... they are just soooo uncomfortable for the pup. Hope it heals up quickly for her!

·
3 goldens
11,761 Posts
That poor girl. Myu KayCee that I lost to cvancer just over a year agogot hot spots like that a few times. They can get th sie of a little inger nail in the morning, the size of a halfdollar by afternoon and the siz f a suacer by the net morning.

KayCee was allergic to live oak and pine plllen, bermuda grass, mold, and fleas, and probably other things. However, as she gota litteole she topedhving so mny hosts. lost her a 8yrs9 monhs.

Hope this clear up on your girl soon.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yikes! Is there an ear infection involved too? I always suspect that when I see a hot spot in that location.
I was thinking the same thing because that's usually the case with my allergy dog. Interesting that since we started his acupuncture the bad ears and hot spots mostly stopped.
I'd want to make sure Molli doesn't try to rub that spot on the carpeting/floor to scratch it too. I'd suggest an e-collar if it doesn't impair the air flow to the spot to prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hot Spots come from skin being moist and its really hot out and it won't dry. It was probably in that spot from it being wet after she went swimming and her floppy ears also kept it wet. They can come from flea or bug bites. Once they scratch and open the skin, it stays moist under their fur and scratching , spreads it.......overnight

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
thanks all for your prayers & thoughts. 30 hrs later, seems like its drying out a lot. She has scratched just a little and vet said , hydrocortizone spray, plus been giving her benadryl.

Heres a pic of Molli 2nd birthday, and we had a pool party, doggie ice cream. These are all my furbabies.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yikes! Is there an ear infection involved too? I always suspect that when I see a hot spot in that location.
actually no ear infection at all, Vet said ears were fine. I have never seen a hot spot in that location either. I had another Dog, golden mix and she had gotten them once a year. I do believe the long hair has a lot to do with it, and them scratching just spreads it.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
AWWW! I hope she feels better soon! That looks like a hot spot gone wrong alright - a bit of staff infection in there too? (or fungal infection)
Dang.. some dogs just plain get them bad!

Did the Vet suggest using a cone on her for a bit to keep her from rubbing it?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
My Gawd that looks like Hailey's face, a few weeks ago. Only she was dx'ed with a Staph infection... Poor baby, had 2 injections, special ointments, chlorhexidine washes for 2x a day for several weeks, and an pills. looking much better now. just waiting for her fur to grow back in. She is still sensitive about the area being touched tho.
Not sure exactly how good this photo of my poor girl is. You can do a search on GRF, I had posted the original photos.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=60412

Attachments

21 - 40 of 55 Posts