Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure whether to post in the Health or Puppy threads but I'm hoping someone may have some insight or opinions. My 8 month old golden girl has recently started having the worst bad breath I've ever smelled. It has progressed on and off over the last 2-3 weeks. It's not just a normal 'bad breath' - it actually smells almost like a rancid smell. When picking up after her bathroom outings, her stool has the same smell. The smell is absolutely horrible - it's not that bad 100% of the time but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the smell and what she has been doing. She does have the tendency to eat things she shouldn't - paper, mulch, grass, dirt, leaves, etc. She is eating great (no change in food/treats in months), goes out regularly with no straining or issues there. I've also checked her teeth (she is a power chewer) and they are in very good shape. It just seems very odd to me - I was thinking maybe she had an issue with her teeth or ate something that wasn't passing but she has no other symptoms. Like I said, eats great, no vomiting, no bowel movement problems, tons of energy, plays well, etc. I am planning to call her vet this week but wondering if this sounds odd to anyone else - especially considering her age and how bad the smell is.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
is it from her mouth or the skin around her mouth?...any chance it is her collar?
Does she eat her own poo?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's not her collar and she doesn't eat her own poo. On occasion she has ate rabbit poo from the yard but I can can count on one hand the number of times that has happened. She is watched very closely outside because she will eat mulch, dirt, etc.. It's definitely coming from her breath. We have brushed her teeth, cleaned her mouth, etc. when it's been very, very bad. It helped slightly but it is definitely her breath.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Does she have "pockets" around her back teeth or between her gums & cheeks where food can get stuck?
She is at the age where she is setting her molars...but I don't remember any of mine having particularly 'rancid' breath...
Decaying teeth smell horrid and a buildup of tartar doesnt smell great. thats for sure..but your dog is only 8 months old..
Does she have reddish/rusty stains along the sides of her mouth/lips?

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
I would definitely follow up on this. I know that when Sophie was sick (first with anaplasmosis, and then later with her cancer), we noticed an awful change in the way her breath smelled. By no means am I saying I think your puppy is *that* sick, but I do think that general health can affect mouth health/breath. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts