Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it usually take a dog to understand and realize what their name is??! We've had our Zoe for about two weeks now and use her name constantly so she gets used to it and recognizes that it's her name. After two weeks she still doesn't know.....is that normal?? Or am I just being too imptatient?
We also took her on a mini walk today to get used to her leash.....I think we spent more time trying to get her to walk than anything. She's still a pretty lazy pup so we're trying to get her more active and get some exercise! Any advice on that would also be appreciated also!! :)

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
IMO, just *using* a pup's name doesn't teach her it's important. The name needs to be paired with something good in order for the dog to want to pay attention to it. Here's what I do:

Put the pup on a leash. Have some treats hidden in your pocket. As she's looking around, say her name in a happy voice. Repeat if needed until she turns to look at you, almost as if to say, 'Hey, are you talking to me?" The instant you have her face, say Yes! or Good! and give a treat. Let her start looking around again and repeat. Generally after 4-5 times in a training session, she'll be staring at you. End the game and play again later. Then take the show on the road and play the same game in lots of different environments, starting with easy ones and working your way up.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Just keep at it... we would call Sam and if he looked at us we'd treat. He quickly learned that "Sam" means "look at mom or dad, they're calling you!" :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts