Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had advise about keeping cool during this whole process? We have put our house up for sale and are relocating to another area. I am in favour of moving, but I worry about where we will end up, whether we will get a fair price for our place, and will the dogs get a great place to play. Worried to the Max!

Ronna
Dallie & Karlie

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Selling a house and moving are some of the most stressful things I can think of. Having to keep the place spotless and looking as if no one lives there, what to do with the dogs, packing, etc., all drive me crazy! I'm relocating in 3-1/2 years, and am already dreading it!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Even if you dont have a moving day set, start cleaning out closets and boxing stuff up slowly. That way you can get rid of stuff not needed for the move and wont have a ton of stuff to do all at once when the big day comes. Being in the military I have moved several times and once was a two week from the time we were told and the time to be out. Now that is stressful. Because we had to be in another state and him reporting for duty. And then when we got there. 48 hours later he left for Haiti, so I had all the fun unpacking. LOL

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if you dont have a moving day set, start cleaning out closets and boxing stuff up slowly. That way you can get rid of stuff not needed for the move and wont have a ton of stuff to do all at once when the big day comes. Being in the military I have moved several times and once was a two week from the time we were told and the time to be out. Now that is stressful. Because we had to be in another state and him reporting for duty. And then when we got there. 48 hours later he left for Haiti, so I had all the fun unpacking. LOL
That is called "strength" not stress after reading your post...........I guess I better get a grip! lol. Thanks for seeing things more clearly..............

Ronna
Dallie & Karlie

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I have to say thought I actually enjoyed packing and moving. Plus it was a time to have hubby go thru all his junk and get rid of alittle more each time. And I love to house hunt.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to say thought I actually enjoyed packing and moving. Plus it was a time to have hubby go thru all his junk and get rid of alittle more each time. And I love to house hunt.

I agree about the junk comment lol. We have a big house with lots of "treasures"..............I love to house hunt because I dream of the perfect one............we just lost a beauty with windows galore because we hadn't put ours up for sale yet. It is on MLS now 718776. Do you want to buy it??? ha ha ha

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I have never sold a house before, but we just bought our very first house last year and it was one of the most stressful things in the world, but also very exciting at the same time because we were so tired of paying rent and we were ready to have a house of our very own. I can only imagine how stressful selling must be and worrying about getting a fair price. Once we closed on the house and it was officially ours, moving was so stressful! We were very grateful to have friends and family who were more than happy to help us and we were able to get all moved in one long weekend.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
The easiest move I ever made was from Houston to Sunnyvale, CA. The government paid for everything, including packing and loading the truck. They would have paid for unpacking, too, but I preferred to do that myself. My next move will be on my own, so I'm already getting rid of stuff. No point in paying to move it, then throw it out!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Our last move was the worst we did. It was right after the war started so all the moving companies were backed up and we had to be out of our home and hubby was going into the barracks and i was come back home since he was retiring. They couldnt move us so we had to pack everything up ourselves and put into storage until the movers could come. All that went good and then I came back home. At the time the movers came to get everything out of the storage unit, they would not remove it, hubby and two friends had to move the stuff out into the parking area and then they reopened everything and repacked it. It took two days. Hubby was not happy and was hurting after those two days. And the kicker, he told them how much stuff we had they didnt beleive it so they didnt have a truck large enough to take everything. hubby had to bring stuff down himself and when the truck pulled up in front of our home, they had our mattress wrapped in plastic and tied to the back of the semi. Yes in plastic tied on the back. Looked like Jed Clampett. And the bag had ripped and got wet. Thank goodness it was hot and dry for several days so it dried out. And the movers paid for a new mattress and several other items that were jammed all over the truck to get it here. The driver apoloigized and said he never would have accepted it being done in the first place if he had been there.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I agree about the junk comment lol. We have a big house with lots of "treasures"..............I love to house hunt because I dream of the perfect one............we just lost a beauty with windows galore because we hadn't put ours up for sale yet. It is on MLS now 718776. Do you want to buy it??? ha ha ha
Ronna,

Your house is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I showed the pics you e-mailed me to hubby & agreed that it would be the house for us IF it were closer to Bancroft! My furkids would be wet all of the time & LOVE it!

Yes, selling a house is one of the most stressful things I've ever been through. I'm a "collector" & when the home stager came in (we were looking for a quick sale), I ended up renting a large storage unit & filling it with my "stuff". As well, keeping a house spotless with 2 dogs & 3 young men (I was billeting 3 hockey players) was almost impossible.

I'd get a call @ work that an agent was going to show the house, I'd run home, load the dogs into the back of the van, tidy up, do a quick vaccuum even though it had just been done, spray the febreeze to remove doggie odours & then back to work...... I honestly don't know how I did it! Thank goodness it was later fall & temps were cool so the dogs were ok in the vehicle for an hour or two!

I don't envy you but know that you'll find the perfect place that might just be your forever home! I also know that you'll find the perfect place for your furkids!

·
Dad to Zip, born 8/4/06
60 Posts
We recently moved after 10 years of saying we wouldn't be moving again, and for us one of the most stressful things was agreeing on what to keep and what to throw out/donate. My wife and I enacted variations of this scene for thousands of items:

DW: If you haven't looked at it in more than 3 years, you can let it go. It's dirty, and we don't don't have the space. You don't don't need it. Didn't you watch the Oprah about hoarding junk?

Me: But it's the Magna Carta!

I was lucky in that I could take my dog to work, which saved me major bucks. I also have friends that housed him for a few weeks at a time here and there. Hang in there. As endless and exhausting as the process is, when it's over, the settling in will quickly make you forget all about moving. Yes, keeping our house show-ready with 3 kids and dog and NOT-neat-freak DW and I was NOT easy.

It's important to maintain healthy routines during this time like good diet (for you and your dog) and especially exercise and regular endevours like practicing.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Just moved this summer, it was stressful because we were waiting on our house to sell, then had to move, get settled in and unpack in two weeks, because I had a c-section booked. The biggest hassle was having the doctor threaten to admit me for high blood pressure two days before moving day.

All I can say is declutter and start packing now. Stop buying food as much as possible and start eating up everything in the cupboards. If you don't know if you'll use something between now and when you move, PACK it. :D I did that and it made less work at the end. We also boarded the dogs for the weekend we moved, so they spent two days playing with other dogs having a party and were out of the way - we just picked them up afterwards when we had everything set up for them.

Lana

·
Registered
776 Posts
we are going through the whole moving process now we bought in december firm and have been trying to sell our house since the beginning of january it just sold firm on saturday so that is a relief.....we are moving to our new house in two weeks. it was really hard to keep the house clean with a 10 month old golden three cats and three kids and be out of the house for every showing i have never vaccumed and washed my floors as much as i have these past weeks but it paid off in the end now to finish the packing....oh and one night maddison was upset i didn't take her for a ride in the van to pick up the kids so she went upstairs and decided to rip the carpet up along with the underpad where it joined the carpet in the master bedroom we had a showing the next day so we had to fix it quick it happened so fast my husband was home at the time she was out of his sight for only a few minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts