Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday afternoon, DH and I were getting ready to paint our dining room and hallway before we tear up our old floors and install our new hardwood. We went down into our basement (which is partly finished and DH has his office down there) to get our painting supplies and we heard something dripping. We went into his office and water was dripping right down the wall and the carpet in that area was completely soaked. We had no idea where the water was coming from, so we went upstairs and checked the rest of the house. Everything else was dry, except in our living room behind our couch, where there was a huge wet spot on our Berber carpet, which is directly above the leak in the basement. I immediately got on the phone with our homeowner's insurance company. They came right out and found that there was a huge ice dam on our roof that was causing a leak into the house. The insurance adjuster said that they are probably going to need to rip out that one entire wall in DH's office and replace it, plus rip up the entire brand new carpet (was just installed a month before we bought the house last spring) and replace the carpet. A cleaning and restoration service came over today and checked everything out. They brought in some dehumidifiers and put them in our living room and basement and they are going to come back tomorrow. They are going to have to rip out part of the wall in our living room behind the couch (which will be a huge pain because our house is a gambrel ranch and our living room has slanted walls), and rip out the wall in DH's office and rip up the carpet. I just want to cry. We haven't even owned this house for a year and everything went perfect when we had it inspected before we bought it! I guess it's just our luck. We're going to have to hold off on the painting and installing our new floors until this whole mess is taken care of. I have no idea how long it's going to take for them to do this. Thank god for insurance. I just dread finding out how much our premium is going to go up after this. Why did we buy a house again??? :doh:

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
OH MY what a mess. All because of ice on your roof? I am so sorry that all this is happeneing to you. I hope your premium doesnt go up too much...maybe it wont??
Good luck with all the work that has to be done...hope it gets done quick!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are coming back tomorrow to start the "real work." They basically just put dehumidifiers in the house tonight and will be back tomorrow around 1 PM. This is the worst timing ever! I just hope it's something they can do fairly quickly and not have to keep coming back. This was not included in our remodeling/redecorating plans!

·
8,164 Posts
Im sure it wasnt in your plans! Im sooo sorry..sounds like it may be done quick!!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DH was laughing at me because I don't understand any of this stuff at all. He was explaining to me that they are going to have to take out a part of the wall and I was like, "Well, are they going to put it back???" He's still laughing at me. :doh: I'm totally stupid when it comes to this stuff!

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
So sorry, these things happen when you own a house, hate to say this but they do. Just when you think everything is perfect someone throws something in you're way.
Hope the repairs are done quickly and you're house goes back to normal:wave:

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Ice dams have been terrible this year. Sorry it happened to you. Sounds like you have a good insurance company who will put things straight. I don't know how I have missed out on the ice dams in this 100 year old ark of a house.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so glad that we have a good insurance policy! I just hope that our premium doesn't go through the roof. :uhoh: Our house was built in 1980, so it's not too old in house years. The roof is also only 2 years old. Why me???

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the exact definition of an ice dam:

An ice dam is a wall of ice that forms at the edge of the roof, usually at the gutters or soffit. When it forms the water then backs up behind the ice dam and creates a pool of water. This pool of water can leak into your home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation, and other areas.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
It sounds like you have a great insurance policy and they have been very responsive. I am sorry for the mess, I know it is a pain, but it sounds like they will fix you up good.

We actually shovel our roof around the gutters when we get more than say 8-12" of snow. You might want to check to see if you need new gutters or gutter repair. I always laugh at DH when he puts on his Indiana Jones hat and goes out to fight the gutter clutter (ice and leaves), he's like Bill Murray in Caddyshack, he's going to get him an ice dam.

And as near as I can tell, an ice dam is when it clogs your gutter so the melting snow or rain can't drain OUT, so it drains IN to your walls. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just a little old female THAT IS NOT getting on the ladder to shovel the roof :).

·
I <3 Goldens
487 Posts
welcome to home ownership!! Want me to help you feel better? My wife and I just bought our new home 5 months ago. THE FIRST DAY we hooked up the washer and dryer and turned it on to let it run just to get water moving through the lines ( we have front loaders), my wife and I walked out back with my in-laws, came back in 20 minutes later and somehow the water pressure blew off the drainage pipe, and we had 5+ gallons of water in our floor..... over a finished basement.... the water went through the floors, onto the ceiling of the finished basement, paint bubbled up, the sheetrock looked horrible. THIS WAS THE VERY FIRST DAY!!!! :doh: I tell you what, I was so angry!! I grab a saw and end up cutting a square into the celing so we could see the damage, and to make sure we got rid of water, that would cause mold. Then had to REFINISH the ceiling....

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
welcome to home ownership!! Want me to help you feel better? My wife and I just bought our new home 5 months ago. THE FIRST DAY we hooked up the washer and dryer and turned it on to let it run just to get water moving through the lines ( we have front loaders), my wife and I walked out back with my in-laws, came back in 20 minutes later and somehow the water pressure blew off the drainage pipe, and we had 5+ gallons of water in our floor..... over a finished basement.... the water went through the floors, onto the ceiling of the finished basement, paint bubbled up, the sheetrock looked horrible. THIS WAS THE VERY FIRST DAY!!!! :doh: I tell you what, I was so angry!! I grab a saw and end up cutting a square into the celing so we could see the damage, and to make sure we got rid of water, that would cause mold. Then had to REFINISH the ceiling....

OMG! I would have completely lost it, especially on the first day!!! We have front loaders too, so thank god that never happened to us! OMG I would die!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The roof is fine. It's just the inside of the walls and our floors in those 2 areas that need to be taken care of.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
We have our own homeowners' problem: roof rats in the attic -- DEAD ONES! I called Orkin a couple of weeks ago. The guy showed me where they were accessing the attic and blocked the hole, then set a bunch of traps in the attic and crawl space. When we got home from Arizona Friday night, I immediately knew the traps had worked. My office stinks, and the smell is getting worse. I called Orkin Sunday, and again today. Somebody is coming out tomorrow morning (the earlier the better) to remove the corpses. This county has a long-term roof rat problem, but we have never had a problem in the 25+ years I have lived in California. This whole experience has freaked me out. I need to trim the orange tree away from the house so the little buggers can't crawl up the tree trunk, then jump onto the roof. Yuck!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have our own homeowners' problem: roof rats in the attic -- DEAD ONES! I called Orkin a couple of weeks ago. The guy showed me where they were accessing the attic and blocked the hole, then set a bunch of traps in the attic and crawl space. When we got home from Arizona Friday night, I immediately knew the traps had worked. My office stinks, and the smell is getting worse. I called Orkin Sunday, and again today. Somebody is coming out tomorrow morning (the earlier the better) to remove the corpses. This county has a long-term roof rat problem, but we have never had a problem in the 25+ years I have lived in California. This whole experience has freaked me out. I need to trim the orange tree away from the house so the little buggers can't crawl up the tree trunk, then jump onto the roof. Yuck!
Oh that is awful! I'm sure the odor would be enough to make me sick to my stomach. I sure wouldn't want to have the job of removing the dead ones! :yuck:

·
8,164 Posts
Oh my...that must have smelled terrible. At least they cant get back in!!

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Just a question....during the repairs, instead of them putting in new carpet, which you just have to rip out to put down your choice of flooring, can they put in the flooring that you want to put down? You pay the difference in the material cost?

And the painting......couldn't you just have them do it for you, at least on that one wall? Saves you some work. Maybe they'll just do the whole room for a nominal cost?

I used to be a Sales Manager for builders. One time we were having a grand opening of a brand new model home the next day...when I heard dripping in the dining room. There was water dripping...then pouring...out of the chandelier. Over the brand new table.

Ran upstairs and found that in preparation for the grand opening, someone (there were lots of people preparing for the big day) had thought that filling the tub with water, and turning on the jets would be a nice touch. Mind you...it was about 7pm.

Well...apparently the plumber didn't connect the pipes to the "jets". When they were turned on...water went from the main pipe to.......nowhere.....except down.

I turned everything off....ran back downstairs, and got a broom and punched holes in the ceiling for the water to be released. It was a torrent!

The bathroom tile floor (including underlayment) had to be pulled up and replaced, since it was buckling .... the dining room ceiling, carpet, underlayment all had to be replaced. And the furniture had to be dried out by 9am the next morning!

THAT was a fun night. :lol:

Good thing we found out BEFORE the house was sold. Granted it was a model home and remained that way for about 2 years before it was sold and other models built....but there's a very big probability that the tub jets would have never been turned on before the people actually bought the house. We never did that....why would we? Nobody LIVED there!

I'm sorry you had to go through this. What a nightmare! But it sounds like your insurance company is handling things well.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Is the carpet stained or just wet? Because there are these fan things that I've seen restoration companies use that shake the carpet up and down and fan it too. Along with the dehumidifiers, they can save the carpet and allow it to be re-tacked in place. But if it's stained or mildewed, it doesn't work. Good luck to you!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts