Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old dark creme golden that has become something more than my best friend and companion.
We our getting another full english white pup ready for pick up March 1st. My question is male or female? I of course am leaning toward a female but we have not picked out of the litter yet. Does anyone have 2 young males and has there been problems. I have not had Kona neutered yet I am trying to wait to at least 16 mos.
The big question is how to introduce the new pup into our household without creating problems with Kona. He is a bull headed boy, slightly aggressive but not a problem and very loving. I dont want him to feel thrown aside but to love his brother or sister as a playmate and friend.
Please give me some advice. I NEED IT!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
You will probably be fine introducing either sex as a puppy...what is slightly aggressive (dog or people)? Have you spoke to the breeder about neutering Kona earlier if he is displaying aggressive tendancies, you might want to consider this.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Usually opposite sex dogs get along the best. If you are worried I would get an expen to put in the main room of the house. That way you can put the puppy in the expen and Kona can see the puppy and get used to it without the puppy getting in his space. When the two are together, make sure you always give attention to Kona first. Kind of ignore the puppy while Kona is around, and let Kona know he is still number one. That way Kona has no reason to put the pup in his place, you have done it for him.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I have two males around the same age and they are the best of buddies. One is neutered and one is not with no problems of aggression from either of them. I think it depends on what you would rather have. If you talk to the breeder on what type of puppy you are looking for personality wise, they can probably steer you to the right puppy. When introducing them, do it on neutral territory like outside. What do you mean by aggressive?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the new addition!

How is Kona slightly aggressive?

I am not sure weather its normal or not except what I have read in a couple of books. I have never had a golden before, they are great dogs. He jumps up alot, likes to hump people. This is more training issue( I said he is bullheaded).
The aggression comes in sometimes for instance when he gets on the bed or couch he will show his teeth and strongly resist pulling him off. He never actully tries to bite but he will grab your my hand or arm. He does the same thing if you pull him off somebody he's trying to hump. He doesn't growl at all though. I can play with his food while eating or pull his toys out of his mouth with no problem. Maybe its just my lack of training experience with goldens. He is also very timid around other dogs, but yet he has been around many of them.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
I also have 2 males who are only 2 months apart in age and both of whom are neutered. Initially, they did have some issues (they would fight during play) but 99.9% of the time now...they are very good buddies. We did have an incident several days ago, but I think that was more our fault than theirs. Since then, they have been wonderful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts