Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my 6 year old (neutered) golden was attacked a couple of times when he was younger by one particular dog. My dog is fine with 95% of dogs but if he sees this dog he will try and attack it. The owner lives locally and we are both now very scared of bumping into each other on walks in case my dog attacks her dog again. Luckily no one has been hurt yet. She is keen to help rectify the situation. I wondered if it would be a good idea to get our husbands to hold the dogs while we talk to and pet each other‘s dog to show my dog there is nothing to be scared of? I feel that it’s pure instinct which leads him to attack this dog so I’m not sure if this would work? The other dog has not shown any aggression the last two times we have met so although he was the initial cause it is now my dog which is causing the problem. My dog is a family pet and is quite well trained bit I walk him off the lead a lot in local fields and woods. Is my only other option to walk him on lead unless I am in a wide open space? Please could you let me know how We can move forward? Many thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I personally would keep them apart. They don’t live in the same household so it’s not imperative they get along.

Do you run into this other dog while walking off lead? If it’s truly only an issue with this dog because it previously attacked him I would just avoid that dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts