Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

So next weekend (I think lol) I'm moving in with my boyfriend and I'm a little worried about Tucker. He's been housetrained for years (he's 3) but he's also in a home where someone is always around and he gets let out like every hour or so. When we move he's gonna have to be alone ALL day.

There have been times we've gone out for the day and left him alone in the house but I dunno, I'm just worried with a new atmosphere he'll get confused and pee inside.

Should I maybe crate him for like the first week or so until he gets used to holding it all day?? (I work 630-230 Mon-Fri).

He's also used to being fed at 7am and 7pm. I won't be home to feed him and I'm worried if I feed him at 5 when I wake up he'll have to poop all day and either do it inside or feel uncomfortable all day. Would it hurt him to switch his morning feeding to the evening and just have him eat once a day with more food rather than splitting it up into two meals??

Someone help!?

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I was nervous about the housetraining issue when we watched my mom's dog for 3 weeks in November. He is about the same age, and my stepdad is home with him all day to let him out as he pleases. He did just fine being home for 9 hours, no accidents. If Tucker can hold it all through the night, you know he will be able to hold it for 8 hours in the day too.

As for the feeding, I would say to adjust his feeding schedule to 5am and 5pm. Molson eats at 6 & 6 and never poops in the mornings, but poops exactly 3 times on our walk (in the same spots :)) and once before bedtime around 11pm. I think Tucker will be ok, it might take just a couple of days/weeks to adjust his schedule but he should be fine with the 2 meals a day IMO.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Personally I would crate for a while....the move will be confusing enough then add on top a change of schedule....and it is a set up for some accidents.

Lots of dogs do fine with one feeding a day...its not my first choice... but he wont perish with one feeding a day.
IMHO...a better choice would be to get up earlier and get on a 5am-5pm schedule :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
you could use this week to start getting him used to his new feeding and potty schedule... might help ease the stressors when you move... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts