Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: DOG TREATS: What kind, how much and how often?

Hi Guys, these are supposedly really good as reward mechanisms and healthy too -well depending on the brand. What do you give, how often do you give them and how much?

Thanks,
Roby

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I love treats and we get a whole bunch of different ones shipped to us every six weeks.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Zukes-Mini-Naturals/136013.aspx

They LOVE those and they are pretty small little bites.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-HealthTreats-Chicken-Liver-Cubes/999316.aspx

These are a little on the expensive side, but we only use it for REALLY IMPORTANT things. They will literally go insane and start doing every trick they know before I even ask when I break these suckers out.

We JUST got our first order of this next product (like literally we got it yesterday) and gave each of them one last night. They LOOOOVVVEEEDDD them. I'm really excited too because I assume they would be good for their teeth!

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Sams-Yams-Sweet-Potato-Dog-Chewz/215000.aspx

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Well, for a "just because" treat, we give Old Mother Hubbard's 'Just Vegg'N' biscuits. They're low fat/lower calorie and we get the real small ones. They usually get these when they come in from doing their business outside. (They got used to it as pups and still look for their cookie when they come in.) Or when Riley gets his Cosequin tablet, Gunner gets a cookie. Plus, my dad likes to give them treats when he's visiting, so I always keep these on hand. I don't have to freak out too bad when I catch him giving them half a dozen.

If I'm training or working on something new, I like the Wellness Pure Rewards jerky. It's pricey, but they lose their minds for that stuff and will do just about anything for it.

If you don't mind the work (or the smell) you can buy some cheap liver at the grocery store and dehydrate it in your oven. Just use tiny pieces and don't overdo it or you might have some messes to clean up. That works great as a really high-value reward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds yummy! I try to steer away from feeding Einstein anything that we (people) eat coz, based on experience, the minute they get a taste of meat, it's bye-bye' dog food! And i mean every single time!

They have a place called the Dog Treat Jar where they sell all-natural, human-quality dog treats that aren't that expensive and they ship throughout the US. Maybe you'd like to check it out?

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?yhst-61338770420486+cqBt54+index.html+

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We very rarely ever buy actual dog treats. I find that avoiding random treats helps keep our dogs nice and lean. For training, we usually use small pieces of hot dog or cheese. We also use regular pieces kibble as rewards. For big treats, we buy marrow and soup bones, which our dogs love. They also occasionally get peanut butter in their Kongs. On the very, very rare occasions when we do buy treats, it's usually something like Bill-Jac liver treats.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I make my own peanut butter or pumpkin treats, which are great because they're soft and you can use very small pieces. Downside is they must be refrigerated! I like Zukes,as well, for training since they're small and soft.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tend to over treat - does anyone think pigs ears would put weight on? I give the girls one about every other day - they love them.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I tend to over treat - does anyone think pigs ears would put weight on? I give the girls one about every other day - they love them.
Pig ears are one of the things that we totally avoid. They can break into small, sharp pieces and they can cause a serious intestinal blockage if the dog swallows a large enough piece, which isn't too difficult for a dog to do, especially a golden. I would stick with marrow bones and Nylabones. Pig ears can just be way too dangerous.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I make my own peanut butter or pumpkin treats, which are great because they're soft and you can use very small pieces. Downside is they must be refrigerated! I like Zukes,as well, for training since they're small and soft.
Would you care to share the recipes? I'm always looking for soft treats for my boy. Will check search field to see if there is a recipe section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts