Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking for some feedback regarding what kind of treats to give our puppy for chewing. We have been giving her the normal cheese cubes when she goes out to go to the bathroom. Also have been throwing in some carrot sticks which she loves as well.

We are looking for info on chewing treats like bones, rawhide, rawhide munchies, pig ears, and any other type of chew treat to fufill her chewing needs??? Basically is there anything out of this or other chewing treats you would reccomend we stay away from?

Also we have heard some issues with the KONG toys. Has anyone heard of any issues?

Thank you!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I would not use rawhide. It can be very dangerous, and it can also be sticky and messy.

I haven't ever had an issue with the Kong, though some dogs are not interested in them. None of mine are, unless the Kong has been stuffed with food/treats.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
I haven't ever had an issue with the Kong, though some dogs are not interested in them. None of mine are, unless the Kong has been stuffed with food/treats.[/quote]

I agree...two dogs, two Kongs - nobody's interested unless they're stuffed with goodies. As soon as they're empty, they stop chewing. I'm having pretty good luck with deer antlers though. I refuse to get pigs ears because they smell and gross me out. Bully sticks sometimes smell, I mean REALLY smell, depending on the brand. Antlers have no smell as far as I can tell and they love them. Just my .02¢.

- Trids

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
ANTLERS, ANTLERS, ANTLERS !!!!! You can do a search and read quite abit on them here on the forum. They last for a long time, don't splinter, clean teeth, and are full of natural nutrients. You can order them from www.petexpertise,com or order from [email protected] ( They're on ebay too).

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just ordered the bully sticks and the antlers from pet expertise last week, the dogs love them. Matter of fact I'm ordering more tonight, I only ordered 2 bully sticks and both are gone. Penny ate her's in under 1 hour, Saddie is our lady and she still has her's. I would recommend the antlers and bully sticks anytime.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good question - I practically raised my 16 year old golden mix on the raw hide chews but now I don't like giving my two girls that stuff. I want something that lasts for a long time. Everything I buy they eat in less than an hour - some of the stuff is expensive. I am interested in the deer antlers though. They are hard to find on ebay - for dogs anyway. I'm getting some though. thanks

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Just say NO! In all seriousness, if you are dead-set on providing rawhide, hooves, ears, etc. be certain that the package specifically states:

1) Made in USA
2) NO artificial preservatives

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
The ONLY rawhide Amber gets is the kind thats already broken down into tiny bits and then "Compressed" into a rawhide stick, it chews up easily and does not get sticky or caught in the throat. I'm weary of pig ears as they get very sharp edges and I have heard of them cutting the throat as well. I use nylabones when shes into them. I also just purchased Antlers from petexpertise.com, I got her the large 20" one. I ended up cutting it in half(wash it very very well before giving). Amber has shown minor interest in it but she was never a big chewer anyway. Sometimes she needs to be in the mood for whatev er she chews on. I passed along the larger thicker half to a friend of hers who is a black lab her age(19 months) and she went ga-ga over it! I also get her raw 6-8" cow bones from the butcher at our grocery store. They have marrow inside them and bits of flesh still on the outside and are uncooked and she loves to hide them for a fes weeks inside the house and then find them later and spends days working ongetting the marrow out of then. Luckily they do not smell. I also get her bully sticks of variou sizes, from the smller cut peices of around 12" to the bigger 4 foot section she loves to carry around. They do come in sizes all the way up to about 5 foot in length(amazing isn't it!?). Then theres always the peices of of Ash wood she finds outside and spends hours chewing up when laying outside. Anything you give, just be sure to take away when you are not in direct supervision as anything can be a problem for a heavy chewer. Amber is one of those rare goldens that does not chew very much or for very long so I never have to worry about her chewing on soemthing too much. I would buy a bunch of different items and then swap them out at various time frames and reintroduce a week or so later. It always seems to keep Amber busy and its like shes getting new toys all the time from doing that as it keeps her interest more then just having them laying around in her toy basket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts