Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 9-week old Golden Retriever and I'm switching him to raw, starting with chicken (my 9-year old GSD has been raw fed since the same age, is supremely healthy and has never needed to visit the vet's in his life).

The puppy is currently on 4 small meals a day.

Does anyone combine raw meaty bones with Naturediet Grain-Free (wet) puppy food? Thinking if he has one or two Naturediet meals a day in addition to the raw meals this might boost his nutrients while he gets used to the chicken (and until I can gradually start introducing organs and other meats/bones).

Just wondering if anyone has done this or experienced any adverse digestion issues with combining raw with a commercial wet puppy food.

Thanks.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,840 Posts
I wouldn't feed a grain free commercial sorry currently with the issues with that linked to the DCM issue. Also why seriously lower the quality of raw food by introducing a cooked prepared canned food which had the least amount of nutrients in it based on the extreme high heat coming process? If you're going to do raw, then just do raw, especially with them being so small it won't even cost any real difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're right. For some reason I'm just nervous about going "cold turkey" (excuse the pun) with him on 100% raw, even though I guess I must have done that with the GSD (can't remember - nine years ago!).

(Also finding myself taken in by advertising of "complete" puppy food with essential nutrients etc...the marketing is much more sophisticated these days!)

I'll ditch the commercial and just stick with the chicken wings/ drumsticks this week and then gradually introduce other raw and go from there.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts