Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
We are planning on switching our 5yo to a raw diet for many reasons, but mainly to help with ongoing skin issues she's been having. After doing research and tons of reading here, a scratch diet is very intimidating and overwhelming to us. We'd like to get our and our pups "feet wet" before we jump in.
We are hoping to transition our pup to raw patties first. We feel the patties will help get our feet wet to raw, once she has been on it for 8ish weeks will we start to figure out feeding raw from scratch.
Anyone ever used raw patties and had good success, or gone with patties for this purpose?

Also, anyone have good tips for keeping little kids in the house safe while feeding raw?

·
Super Moderator
945 Posts
Find an NRC or AAFCO balanced raw food. We feed our cat Answers Detailed in rotation with his other food. I don't know if Answers has patties, but its a good company. You can do a slow transition if you feel its necessary, but some dogs do well just switching over.

Handle raw food like handling any raw meat. Clean the surfaces it comes into contact with, including the dog bowl. Wash hands, etc. I don't have kids, so maybe somebody else can comment on the safety, like whether dog likes to lick the children's faces?

·
Registered
499 Posts
We feed our dogs the Primal patties. It's expensive, but it's worth it to me for the convenience and to not worry about whether or not it's balanced. At one time we also fed Bravo, and over the years have occasionally fed other products as well. As Tagrenine said, just be sure anything you feed is AAFCO certified.

In our house, we just treat the patties as we would if we were preparing any raw meat. Wash or wipe down counters after prepping meals, wash hands thoroughly after handling the patties, feed in metal bowls that can be sanitized in the dishwasher, etc. With little kids I would be sure to keep them from handling the food bowls (a good idea anyway!), and try not to let the dog lick them (especially hands and faces) after eating. FWIW we've been feeding raw since 2005 with no issues.

One hint... Over the years the biggest challenge we've had is in figuring out how not to feed the patties still frozen. What we do now is remove 2-3 patties at a time from the freezer and put them in a plastic container in the fridge. It usually takes a day or so for the patties to defrost, so each time you feed one patty you replace it with another frozen one. Just be sure everyone in the house knows it's dog food! ;) I hate serving them super cold food, so I usually pour a little (1/4 cup) hot water on the patty and mix everything up well before I feed.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
I fed raw patties before I got the courage (and time) to prep it myself. The brands I have in my country differ, but for what its worth i feed my cat primal freeze dried raw, and I have seen the frozen raw patties primal has and they look great ( if only I can get them in my country).

for safe handling, be sure to use a food safe sanitiser to wipe down on all surfaces, bowl stands etc. My dogs like to lick all over the bowl and the bowl stand so I take care to sanitise those areas as well. I defrost overnight and serve cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts