Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone buy and drink raw milk? I drink a ton of milk and am thinking about buying some raw milk to try and just wondering if anyone else drinks it.

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
Just don't overdo it until your body adapts. If you go overboard, you can give yourself a bad case of food poisoning.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
I grew up on a farm, fresh cow's milk only. One of us (daddy, brother or I, would milk the cow, bring the milk in and strain it (thru cheese clothe to make sure no cow hair was in it, etc), and then I would get a glass of milk, still warm from the cow.

We got a gloon in the morning, one at night and shared it. By the time it had sat in the fridge a few hours, the top 2/3 was sort of yellow, the bottom 1/3 sort of blue wher the cream had seperated from the milk. Had to stir it before using it.

We would dip the cream off and it was thicker than paint, and had whipped cream on pies and cobblers. Also used it in home made icre cream in the summer, and for our coffee.

when i got married and moved I almost went nuts trying to crink that "fake" whole milk from the grocery store. It was like trying to drink a glass of half milk and half water, probably beczaue so much of the cream had been removed. Took me almost a year to get use to it. Not sure i would handle "real milk" now.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We drank nothing but raw milk on our first farm. It was from the lady across the road. I never felt any danger. As she put it: a tightly controlled herd of ONE! ;)

It was also not homogenized but she was able to skim off most of the cream for us. We also bought her butter.

So, be careful. Look for a clean operation and check out how they handle the milk. And make sure the cow(s) are tested for TB...neg of course.

It was the best tasting milk and butter we've ever had.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I used to do microbiology at a dairy processing plant....one of my jobs was to test the raw milk for pathogens and antibiotics...let me tell you, I wouldn't trust any milk that you don't know the herd and milker very well...I'm talking fecal coliforms, lysteria, mastitis (which is very cool under i microscope, not so cool in your tummy), microscopic bits of hay. We were required to flash boil the raw milk before we tasted it for spoilage.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
In our case, they used the milk for their own family so they were super careful. Plus they sold it to a few friends. But, buyer (and tummy) beware.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha thanks guys! I got chewed out by a med student friend of mine for even considering it LOL I'm thinking I'll probably just get over the idea.... especially since I heard that a quart of the stuff can go for anywhere from $8-10 at a store. I already cringe enough paying $5/gallon for regular organic milk now.

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
I used to do microbiology at a dairy processing plant....one of my jobs was to test the raw milk for pathogens and antibiotics...let me tell you, I wouldn't trust any milk that you don't know the herd and milker very well...I'm talking fecal coliforms, lysteria, mastitis (which is very cool under i microscope, not so cool in your tummy), microscopic bits of hay. We were required to flash boil the raw milk before we tasted it for spoilage.
o_O Here I was just thinking about food poisoning from regular bacteria in raw milk which most of us regular pasteurized milk drinkers aren't used to. :yuck:

Way back when we went to summer camp at this farm down in Ohio, you had an option to drink the straight-from-the-cow milk or water. There was nothing else.

Most girls who grew up on farms were able to drink that milk without any problems. The girls who weren't had the severe stomach pains and vomiting.

Which made water a VERY popular choice.

I don't like and can't really handle regular milk because it's so thick so there was never a choice anyway. I can't imagine drinking something that's THICKER than regular milk. :yuck:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts