Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally bought some marrow bones at the butcher. They have some nice hunks of meat on them and I know my dogs would be in heaven.

However, I haven't had the nerve to give them the bones yet - because of how gross they are!

Seriously, they are too yecchy to give to dogs in the house, right? Even in Duffy's crate, I would hate for him to get the bloody stuff all over his nice crate pad and bedding.

So, do we just have to wait till warm weather so they can chew them outside? Or if they are given frozen, are they not as messy as I think?

Kris

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our dogs are crated when they get raw marrow bones. They're not really that messy. They eat everything off the bone and don't leave anything behind. We just wipe their crates down with Clorox wipes when they're done. Once they eat all of the raw meat off, we let them keep the bones for about a month before replacing them.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
The marrow itself is pretty greasy. I remove most of the marrow since it's too rich for Finn and let him have the bone outdoors. He doesn't care if it's cold out, and in fact prefers to lie in the snow!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a set of old flannel bed sheets that I double up on the living room floor and make her lay on them while she chews. Sometimes she works her way off of and I have to move the bone back in the middle. Done will be pretty darn clean when she's done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts