Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my now 2 1/2 year old female golden girl Riley raw food since I took her home from the breeder as this is the food the breeder feeds all her dogs (I use the same manufacturer and distributor she does). However, this past week she has been having frequent and watery stools. I stopped feeding her the usual food and gave her rice and chicken prepared by me. This seemed to help for about a day or so, so I went back to her raw food. Once again, the frequent and watery stools happened. I called my vet and ge gave me a prescription for 5 days, Sulfasalazine 500 mg., three times a day, plus a special Hill's Food w/d (only available from the vet with a prescription). It did help. Well, I went back to the raw food, again, but a different flavor, same manufacturer -- You guessed it, frequent watery poops. Back I am with rice and chicken, plus a canned Hills food for sensitive stomach (not the one that only a vet can prescribe). Her poop today seemed to have more form, plus it was not as frequent. My purpose in writing this is to get your opinions - do you think she has developed an intolerance to this raw diet? Do you think I should have my vet check her out to see if it is something else? Perplexed and concerned! Riley's behavior of play and her appetite has not changed at all. Thank you for any insight!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd get a fecal done, just in case. If the loose stool randomly started, then I'm inclined to think that maybe the food isn't the problem, especially since she's been on it her whole life. Sulfasalazine is used to treat colitis and Crohn's disease, which is probably why it helped her stool issue.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply! I was thinking maybe its not the food like you said since she has been on it her entire life. Being that its New Years eve and day, holiday time is very busy at my vet, I am going to wait it out -- feed her chicken and rice - with maybe a little raw mixed in - I did look up the medication and saw its used for colitis and Chrohns. -- Probably going to bring a fecal sample over the next few days - I'll see what happens!
Thanks again! Happy New Year!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’m not sure about the raw food thing! Only thing I have to offer about if it is something they eat that’s bad. So far my pup has eaten plastic, chewed up a small piece of throw rug, and swallowed too much of one rawhide bone (before I knew they were bad). Each time he threw up once the next day, and then acted his his normal hyper self, except for loose stools for about a week. Every time I’ve called the vet in panic! He tells me as long as he’s eating, drinking, and acting normal to give him chicken and rice for a week, then gradually add his kibble back, and look at his poo to see if it’s come out. I watch him like a hawk now, but I will sometimes see things in his poo that baffles me🥺

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,465 Posts
Check with your breeder and see if they have experienced a bout of random loose/runny stools as well. If so you can bet there is a some pathogen missed in the raw food manufacturing process. More times then not, these places where you buy the meat parts there are no testing/screening done for pathogens. Not sure if you use a raw food you create yourself or commercially prepared raw food since you refrained from giving that information. This is why I don't recommend getting raw parts and making your own (not saying this is what you do)

·
Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
There's some great info/suggestions here. I'd defintly check with the breeder about any issues with the food and drop off a stool sample this morning if possible. Our vet is open on Saturdays but I know many close for the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
932 Posts
While it could be coincidental rather than causative, everything seems to point to the raw food. When you changed the diet the stools improved. As advised above, great idea to see the vet with a stool sample in hand and to check with the breeder for a pattern with other dogs on the same diet. May just mean it is time to move onto to a different food plan but at least you have ruled out anything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts