Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A live raw food diet focuses on raw meaty bones and raw food, similar food diet to what a dog would eat in the wild. I from time to time feed my goldens with this type of uncooked diet and they love it.
In my experience, overall most of all animals are healthier on a raw food diet.
Does anyone else tried to feed this 'raw' diet to their goldens?
LG

·
Registered
77 Posts
From my experience almost all commercial dog food is crap, consisting of junk food. (lots of corn, no-no...)
Raw diet is the best, no loss of essential nutrients due to cooking/baking, but it is also very expensive.
On the other hand: you feed a lot less.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with Pepe.
Commercial dog food is crap, almost everything in it consists of corn.
Can you guys post some 'raw food' recipes?
Btw. I heard, raw food is good not only for dogs, but for their owners as well :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unless you are a canine dieticians and know what your dog should have in its diet, I would advice you should feed a good quality kibble.
You don't want to be mixing some raw meet with vegetables at hom. First you don't have that much time to do this, I am sure and I think you will agree, this
would be better all round.
You can cause serious health problems by trying to do it yourself when you are not 100% sure what to feed.
A kibble diet is fine if you get a good one, it is clean, it doesn't smell
and you can be sure that your dog will not suffer malnutrition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since it wouldn't be worth my time to re-write the book, I will just recommend it: "The Nature of Animal Healing" by Martin Goldstein, DVM

This man had a golden that lived 17 1/2 years... he must know something.
Even if you don't agree with all he says, it's great reading!! You will be shocked at what they put in even the best the pet foods - lots worse than corn! I am not saying don't use them, just learn what you can. We have begun giving the dogs a carrot for their bone, they love raw sweet potato, bananas, grapes, apples, ice. Be creative. If it is good for you, it is probably good for them. Don't take them completely off the kibble until you yourself are an expert.
Tricia

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Thanks Tricia,

I looked up this book on Amazon.com, here is the link: Click Here

On this Amazon page, there is also an option "Search Inside" and you can actually see scanned pages with pictures and all...

Great, thanks for sharing this tip with us.
I will also add this link into our book section.

Thanks.
Joe

Btw. I attached the picture of this book. See below.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
My personal feeling is there are too many risks associated with a completely raw diet for me to be willing to try it, although I think the principle behind it is a good one. I also recognize that lots of dog foods are of poor quality and poor ingredients. However, there are many kibbles available today that are along more holistic lines, and if your dog does well on them, I see no reason not to feed them, as long as you are cautious in choosing the right one for your dog.

If I were swayed to get my dogs off kibble, I would have to go with a pre-packaged raw diet. I have seen some that come in links or patties. These seem that they would be easy to prepare and hopefully are already balanced.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey Goldenboys. I know you. I see you found this site.

If you want to feed raw I believe it takes a lot of research and time to make sure you get a good balance. I know of people who do it successfully, but they know their nutrition.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The risks I worry about are:

1) not being able to balance the diet properly

2) dogs choking on bones or bones splintering in the stomach/intestines causing perforations

3) dogs getting infections from the raw meat

·
Registered
169 Posts
My Murphy eats raw kangaroo mince with a carrot and a zucchini finely grated and a raw egg mixed in. He gets that with dry bisucits (is that what you refer to as kibble?) for dinner, with either the prepackaged "puppy sausage" or 2 sardines mixed in with dry biscuits for breakfast each day, and a chicken neck or two for lunch :) This is what the breeder had been feeding her dogs so I just carried on with the same recipe :)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I doubt you'll get a reply from Jashley, who hasn't been on the site in two years, but yes, grapes and raisins can cause serious and even fatal reactions in some dogs. In a few documented instances, dogs have had kidney failure and even died from as few as three or four grapes or raisins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.