Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hopefully going to be getting a beautiful golden retriever puppy in early July! The breeder has told my family that she feeds her dogs a raw food diet and that she recommends we follow this through with the puppy. I've read a lot about the potential health benefits and I understand why it's the most natural diet for a dog considering how alike they are to the grey wolf however I'm just a bit unsure or maybe need more convincing.
From what I've read it just sounds a bit complicated and so I was wanting to know what other peoples opinions are of feeding a golden retriever a raw food diet and their experience with it. I'd just hate to do it wrong and not be giving my future dog the right nutrition that it needs. My first golden Sandie who we sadly lost in April was a fussy eater and we fed her kibble and added some chicken, beef, fish or pork to her dish (she was always spoilt and wouldn't eat it unless she knew there was something tasty added haha) but I'm not sure if I should just do the same for this new dog because we lost Sandie at 8yrs and so I'm thinking maybe the food we were feeding her wasn't good enough?
I've read a lot out pet food companies and how what it says on the packaging really isn't what we're feeding our dogs, I was horrified to find this out. I'm so determined to do everything I possibly can to make this new puppy as happy and as healthy as possible when we get her and so any advice or information would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
If you are going to feed raw, you should learn about balancing calcium and phosphorus OR feed a preprepared raw diet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts