Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my dogs' diet to predominantly raw and was after guidelines in doing so from raw feeders on the forum. I have been doing kibble in a kong wobbler for breakfast, but dinner varies...sometimes kibble with sardines, sometimes raw chicken legs on their own, raw meaty bones once a week as a chew toy/teeth cleaner. The reason I want to change is that bear's teeth are looking a little yellow. What is an ideal balanced raw meal that I can feed at night? I will be making it myself, not pre packaged. Thanks in advance!

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
I have been feeding Harley raw since we got him 18 months ago. He went straight from very cheap kibble onto raw with no issues. He is 27 kg and can have 520g of food a day. For breakfast he gets a raw chicken leg. I get them in Aldi and you get 12 (2kg) for $7 (on special at the moment for $6.50). They vary in weight from 100g to 200g. I count them as 200g. At night he gets a meat patty which I make as follows: Either pet mince from the butcher or mince from Aldi. Must be preservative free, say about 2kg. Then I get either some liver, kidneys or heart from the butcher or whatever is on special at the supermarket and chop that up and add it to the mince, then process up some vegies in the food processor, say a large carrot, piece of broccoli, green beans, pumpkin, maybe an apple without the core (whatever I have) and add that to the mix. The butchers mince has bone in it. I mix it into 250g patties and freeze. He gets one a night with a fish oil capsule and a tablespoon of full fat natural yogurt. Sometimes give coconut oil instead of fish oil. He also gets about 5 eggs a week but I give them to him separately as a treat, raw, shell and all (he goes crazy for those). A couple of times a week he gets a tin of sardines for breakfast. Sometimes he gets lamb offcuts with bone in and once a month he gets a big bone. I read up a lot on the internet before I started and also followed the recommendations on the Golden Ark Rescue site which gives some good info. The main thing is you don't have to sweat it too much. You don't need all the nutritional needs on a daily basis, a balance over a few weeks is fine. Poop is generally firm and small and doesn't stink. He looks great and I find it really cheap to do this way. You need to feed 2-3% of their ideal body weight and with goldens they recommend that you start with 2% as they put on weight easily. In the early days I weighed him regularly to make sure we were on track.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I used to feed the Prey model which is 85% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 5% organ (half must be liver). I prepared each meal and weighed everything to make sure it was balanced. With the raw meaty bones you'll have to guess how much of it is bone, but I go by how the poop looks. If it is too chalky and dry, that means it was too much bone. I usually fed RMB every other day. I would sometimes give fruits and veggies but the prey model is only meat, no plant foods. I'd feed lamb ribs and necks, pork, heart, liver, kidney, and ground beef. Pig tails were also a favorite and I still give those to clean teeth. Now, I use an Honest Kitchen base mix and add raw meat so I don't have to worry about calculating and measuring everything.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you this has been extremely helpful. I'm taking ideas from both of you and start planning their meals. Bear is about 34kgs, the Stormster is about 31kgs. Both look good and I would like to keep them at these weight levels, so how many grams roughly should they be getting?

·
where the tails wag
13,360 Posts
I do start with a base of prepared raw - sometime a mix of meat with veggies and organ mixes, other times beef with tripe and organs, other time chicken with bones etc. Occassionally a meat mix (beef, chicken, lamb etc with some organ meat). These come from 2-3 different vendors who make deliveries once or twice a month and give me a variety at reasonable cost.

Each morning I VitaMix up a greenie mixture that will usually have the following:
- Organic lettuce greens
- Organic kale and/or spinach
- Organic romaine lettuce
- Organic carrots
- Cucumbers (sometimes organic, mostly conventional due to availability)
- Organic Yogurt
- Organic Flax seeds

This is all mixed togther and I take my breakfast :)

Then I might add
- an apple (sometimes organic depending on availability)
- Organic eggs with their shells
- Organic coconut oil

I mix the blended greenie mixture with their meat mixture for their breakfasts, putting aside any extra mixture for their evening meal.

Once or twice a week they also get left overs such as additional veggies, training treats, leftover cooked meats etc.

They get kibble (Fromm's) once or twice a week as well.

When they look like they need more calories, I will add some organic rice to their meals - right now Brady & Aedan are getting perhaps a half cup of basmati rice per day.

For 4 dogs, this probably costs about $25/week/dog. It is kind of hard to really tell since I have a big portion of the green smoothie in the morning :) The meat mixtures range from $1.75 to $2.25 per pound. Not the least expensive option but it helps me feel good about the variety they get that is simply not available to me locally.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Ella's been on Nature's Variety Raw and I was thinking of rotating it with Primal, but now you all have me considering making it myself because it looks a lot cheaper. If you start with Honest Kitchen base, do you give a mix of meat, bones and organs, or just meat? As I mentioned in my other thread my concern is storage until I'm able to buy an extra freezer.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I fed raw for decades and I never liked chicken legs. I'd sometimes see pieces of sharp bone coming out in the poop so for me, necks and wings and backs (backs and necks less expensive of course) were my chicken component. I also used (for teeth mostly) lamb shanks about once every two weeks and also for teeth, tom turkey necks - not the necks that you see in the grocers, they are too short to feel safe to me. The tom necks are much longer and the thrill is gone by the time they are short as the grocer's turkey necks and the dogs chewed them quietly with no haste at that point. We followed a loose prey model too. I fed rabbits whole, that I got from a rabbit judge who had a breeding program and sold me his culls (for coat color- they weighed about 1/2 pound at that point) and venison parts like tongue and femurs.
They got about 4 days a week chicken in some form- I did also grind a mix to cover fruits and veggies and they got that on a chicken day sometimes, that, or backs which I bought by the case 40# box. 1 day a week they got bunnies, one day turkey parts, and one day either lamb or venison.
My chicken mix looked a lot like Sunrise's, but I also added leftover veggies from our meals, blueberries were in my grind and lots of kale and pumpkin. The meat portion was necks which my grinder could easily handle. I made about 120 pounds a month.
I supplemented w Vit C daily, and a stress B probably 4-5 days a week (the B was a function of how many days I myself took one- I gave them one when I took one). I also added to my grind mix probably a half cup of coat supplement made for horses but used w dogs often- per 60# of meat....so they were getting around 2 TB on chicken days of Super14. The mix had enough kale,blueberries, etc to be pretty to look at but really had minimal veggies. I usually put maybe 2 cartons of liver in the mix as well, but to me, they got plenty of organ %age wise attached to the backs they ate whole.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I fed raw for decades and I never liked chicken legs. I'd sometimes see pieces of sharp bone coming out in the poop so for me, necks and wings and backs (backs and necks less expensive of course) were my chicken component. I also used (for teeth mostly) lamb shanks about once every two weeks and also for teeth, tom turkey necks - not the necks that you see in the grocers, they are too short to feel safe to me. The tom necks are much longer and the thrill is gone by the time they are short as the grocer's turkey necks and the dogs chewed them quietly with no haste at that point. We followed a loose prey model too. I fed rabbits whole, that I got from a rabbit judge who had a breeding program and sold me his culls (for coat color- they weighed about 1/2 pound at that point) and venison parts like tongue and femurs.
They got about 4 days a week chicken in some form- I did also grind a mix to cover fruits and veggies and they got that on a chicken day sometimes, that, or backs which I bought by the case 40# box. 1 day a week they got bunnies, one day turkey parts, and one day either lamb or venison.
My chicken mix looked a lot like Sunrise's, but I also added leftover veggies from our meals, blueberries were in my grind and lots of kale and pumpkin. The meat portion was necks which my grinder could easily handle. I made about 120 pounds a month.
I supplemented w Vit C daily, and a stress B probably 4-5 days a week (the B was a function of how many days I myself took one- I gave them one when I took one). I also added to my grind mix probably a half cup of coat supplement made for horses but used w dogs often- per 60# of meat....so they were getting around 2 TB on chicken days of Super14. The mix had enough kale,blueberries, etc to be pretty to look at but really had minimal veggies. I usually put maybe 2 cartons of liver in the mix as well, but to me, they got plenty of organ %age wise attached to the backs they ate whole.
What made you switch from raw? Did you notice a difference?

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I had to- my father got sick and that meant I was gone pretty much all day for the 5 weeks he was in the hospital 2 hours away... and I had to trust someone else to feed my dogs.
Once I got him here, he was in rehab for 3 weeks and while I could have fed them myself, I realized once I got him home I would be looking at him having contact,, etc and the raw on their faces after a chewfest might be dangerous for him because of his age.
So I started what I think was an insane search for a good kibble that all the dogs liked. It wasn't easy to find one! And that was a year ago, so when I no longer have my 86YO roommate, I will go back to raw. I miss it.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
To your question of whether I've noticed a difference- first food- yes. Not everyone liked it, (Purina Pro Plan- tried 5 different flavors/types). My dogs love to eat.
Second food (Solid Gold) crazy big poops. Though they did like it.
Third food (Lifes Abundance) all of them like and the poops are small, don't turn white fast like raw poops, but do seem to disappear pretty quickly like the raw ones, and are very small and tight like the raw ones.
So far, teeth are still good- it's been just over a year..

·
Kristy
9,483 Posts
Katduf, don't make the mistake I did and think that if a little organ meat was good, that more was better. I got a little carried away one week and it must have been too rich, it upset Ellie's stomach. I dialed it back (I mostly do chicken backs etc., I'm also afraid of legs) and she never has issues.

Ellie was weaned on raw food but I switched her to kibble for ease/safety with kids in the house. I switched her back when I realized that I was doing all the feeding anyway and was hoping it would help with some yeast issues for her. It has helped.

I bought a kitchen scale to make sure I wasn't over-feeding. It's easy to do because of the fat content on the chicken. Anytime you cut back on their exercise and training schedule, be sure to cut the food back an ounce. I had a hard time with that because I had always relied on a measuring cup for kibble.

You will love the gorgeous shiny coat, my dogs LOVE raw. Thanks for starting this thread, I enjoy reading the tips from our experienced members.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
This turned out to be a lot longer than I expected, but here is a fairly detailed explanation of how I feed. Due to my schedule, I only feed my adult dogs once a day.

I very loosely follow a prey model diet of 80 percent muscle meat, 10 percent bone, 5 percent liver, and 5 percent other secreting organs. I tend to use a higher percentage of bone to make sure everyone stays firm, and I sometimes add blended veggies.

I just ordered 50 pounds of ground meat that I had shipped to me. I also ordered a ground organ blend consisting of 50 percent liver, 25 percent kidney, and 25 percent spleen. The organ mix comes in 8 ounce containers, so perfect size for me to split among the three dogs in one day. I order from Simply Rawsome.

Three days a week my dogs get a chicken quarter (I buy the 10 pound bags at the grocery store for around sixty cents a pound). To that I add a scoop of the organ blend and any supplements I'm adding. Depending on the size of the chicken quarters, I might add a little extra muscle meat also, especially for Phoenix who requires more food than the others. I keep small (a few ounces each) individually frozen portions of pork and turkey for this purpose. (I put in the freezer on a cookie sheet, layered on top of wax paper if there's a lot I need to do, then once frozen I throw it all in ziploc bags and store in freezer so it's easy to pull a portion out as needed.

When I got in my shipment of ground meat, I prepared individual meals for each dog for another three days a week. Each dog has a different shaped container so I can easily tell who's food it is just by looking at the container. In each container I added a portion of ground meat (1 lb for Phoenix, 3/4 lb for the other two), a total of 54 meals (three dogs, three days a week, that will last six weeks). Then to each container I added a small bone source - smaller pieces of pork neck, turkey neck, or chicken neck. I expect them to get the majority of their bone from the chicken quarters, but I like them to have a small amount of bone every day in order to keep firm poop. Then I went and added a few random muscle meat pieces to the meals - I had some beef heart chucks I added to at least a third of the meals, then dropped in some of the turkey and pork portions I mentioned above to others. The last step was to add a scoop of bone broth and a pinch of golden paste (turmeric, coconut oil, and pepper) to each container. I have a couple of meals worth at a time thawing in the refrigerator (the rest stay in the freezer) and when it's time to serve I just dump in their bowl and add any additional supplements I plan to add.

So 3 days a week they get the chicken quarter and organ blend meal, and 3 days a week the prepared meals with the ground beef. The 7th day is "whatever" day, sometimes it is a hodgepodge of what I have floating around my freezer, and sometimes it's a kibble meal. Yesterday they each got a lamb shank with some ground turkey.

I also keep pumpkin on hand and will often throw a bit in the bowl. I freeze in ice cube trays and then store in a ziploc bag so I can easily pull out pumpkin cubes as needed.

My dogs get fish oil and glucosamine almost every day added to their meals. A few days a week I also add a splash of apple cider vinegar. Most days I also add a scoop of Missing Link or Nupro.

For a snack, I keep frozen chicken feet on hand (individually frozen and stored in ziploc bags as described above). Some people hand out milk bones, but I hand out frozen chicken feet ;)

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Chicken feet- my dogs adore them- I used to get them from Hare Today...but they came with such long claws on them that I could not give them without cutting the nails first on the chicken feet.. that was funny.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
The first time I bought them I kept the nails on, but I read about so many cutting them that I did the next time. Not sure it really matters but I figure better safe than sorry. The older two love them in any form, but Phoenix will only eat them if frozen. If I give it to him thawed he will chomp a few times and then spit it out.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This has all been great info. So does this sound ok for a standard meal....
Mince, little bit of organ meat, chicken necks/feet/wings and a few veggies?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,942 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way and is not meant to be condescending but if you're asking this because you're making your own raw food, then you aren't ready to make your own raw food.
It shouldn't be above 12 or 13% as a dry Matter basis. So that means about 3% as fresh, wet fat and protein should also be kept at roughly 5-8% (which works out to about 25% on a dry matter basis) based on how much moisture the diet is (60-70%) is generally the range the range for a raw diet.

·
Project Redhead
762 Posts
There is a group on FB called Raw Fed and Nerdy. They are science based raw group that has a ton of files, links and support for correctly formulating a raw diet.
Probably worth checking out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts