Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some help on how much to feed my puppy. Not looking to discuss the rights and wrongs of raw feeding please.

My pup, Jasmine, is 13 weeks at this point. I'll have had her two weeks on Wednesday. I have already switched her to raw (she wanted nothing to do with her breeder's kibble once she got one sniff of my other dogs' food), but not comfortable with how much she should be eating.

I have two adult Weimaraners and they eat 1.5lb of ground mix or whole bone items per day each. I spoke with a lab breeder that I get some of my food from and she was saying for her lab pups she feeds 12oz three times a day to her pups once they reach 12 weeks. That's almost double what I'm feeding my adult Weims.

I have Jasmine on about 1.75lbs of food fed over 2 feedings, I just bumped her to 2lbs split over 2 feedings as of yesterday. She has had her healthy pet vet check and in a week went from 24lbs to 27.2lbs. She looks muscular without a pot belly, which is what I'd expect to see from the raw diet. She is getting a variety of ground meat/veggies, an extra freeze-dried veggie mix, beef marrow bones every few days and some whole bone (a piece of turkey wingette - the skinny bone part or chicken necks) in addition to the ground.

I should also mention, she is a medium energy pup, she's bred for correct breed standard of around 24" and stocky and bred from versatile bloodlines that excel in the ring, in the field and in obedience. We're expecting her to top out in the 24" range and around 65lbs when she's done growing.

She eats eagerly and finished everything I'm feeding. Stools are firm (they were loose on the kibble) and regular.

Thoughts for those with experience feeding raw from puppyhood - my Weimaraners were adults at ages 1 and 2 when I switched them to raw (BTW, healthy and sound at ages 12 and 13 now).

·
Kristy
9,483 Posts
There is a raw feeding friends group on facebook that would probably be a good resource for you. Have you searched a couple of the sites of companies that will ship to you Reel Raw Free Shipping! Grass-fed, pastured, raw pet food FREE delivery has a great estimator feature and probably gives good advice on puppy feeding also. I fed current dog raw as a puppy but was feeding her packaged raw from Blue Ridge beef and that made it easy for me: Here is there calculator Puppies | My Website if you tried to do a basic comparison of nutritional value of what you're feeding at home vs. their puppy mix it would probably give you a good idea.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
24" would be larger than standard for a bitch. But-
I fed raw for decades and I fed my puppies about 2 pounds a day spread over 3 meals, largest in the AM, the other two meals about equal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
OK ...question to raw feeders.

I just went to the Reel Raw web site mentioned here and it offered raw salmon. I thought raw salmon was an absolute no no and that dogs could get really sick with no cure? I cook my salmon then feed it to Benjamin.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I feed salmon & have had no issues. I get it as a grind & ensure it's been frozen for 2 weeks prior to adding it to the rotation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks Sheets I reread the research and it says freeze for at least 7 days. Apparently it is also a west coast issue so maybe your salmon is east coast and has a lot less risk.
Still scares me. Think I'll keep at least the Salmon cooked.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As for feeding amounts I'd say not surprising for a growing pup to eat twice an adult at certain points raw or kibble just keep an eye on weight and adjust if putting on too many pounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far she's gaining about 10% body weight per week, she's lean with lots of muscle. Her coat has vastly improved in the 3 weeks I've had her on raw (assisted by conditioner and a couple baths) and she's no longer itching from dry skin. She does not have the puppy pot belly but seems to be really thriving at this point. I've got her eating about 2lbs per day plus some nice beef knuckle and marrow bones every couple days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts