Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So for about 2 months now I’ve done a lot of research into switching my 17mo golden to a raw diet. He’s been a little underweight (56-60lbs, very active) and it’s been hard helping him gain weight, so the vet suggested switching him to a raw diet so I can tailor to his needs more easily. The main question I have is how the percentages are split up. If he’s on a BARF diet (70% muscle meat, 10% raw edible bone, 7% vegetables, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ, 2% seeds or nuts, and 1% fruit), and he has to be eating about 1.625lbs (26oz) a day, his total meal adds up to 1.625lbs? So 70% of the 1.625lbs is muscle meat, etc. Just curious if someone can explain in more concrete detail how the percentages work. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Along with the percentages, a balance over time is much easier to work with. He may need more or less weight per meal, just watch his body tone and adjust. Same for your muscle meat, bone, etc- don't think you need weight your portions, etc just eyeball it and aim for that general balance over each week or two. Some meals might be fattier, some bonier.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
What are you currently feeding, and how much?

Reactions: HollyB

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are you doing it yourself? Or using a commercially done raw diet? I use Answers Raw in the cartons in the evening and my female who weighs 60 gets 8 oz. If she were eating raw 2x a day it would be 15.5 oz.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You gotta be really careful. Bad raw food diets can cause nutritional issues at least, if not worse, than standard commercial dog food diets. Raw Dog Food: Dietary Concerns, Benefits, and Risks
Dogs - like us - are omnivores. Would you feed your kids raw meat with their fries? No. Because you know that there would be a risk of them picking up a bacterial infection from raw meat. Would you feed raw chicken to grandma? Of course you wouldn't.
Same for dogs.
Just because they had to eat raw food and crappy leftovers scavenged from refuse hundreds/thousands of years ago, doesn't mean they should eat that diet now. We dont.
We should feed our dogs properly, according to their dietary needs, from the advice of veterinary dieticians - not self regulated, self promoting 'canine nutritionalists'.
...In my humble opinion.
😊

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you currently feeding, and how much?
He’s been eating PPP sensitive skin & stomach since around January, and he’s eating about 3 1/2 cups a day (plus treats some days like bully sticks & Stella&Chewy’s treats).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you doing it yourself? Or using a commercially done raw diet? I use Answers Raw in the cartons in the evening and my female who weighs 60 gets 8 oz. If she were eating raw 2x a day it would be 15.5 oz.
Planning on doing it myself at first! His vet has been really on board with it, but all the numbers were starting to throw me. I’ve considered ordering from Darwin’s or We Feed Raw at first to take a lot of that eyeballing out of the picture, but I won’t start him on the raw diet until I have everything figured out to make sure he gets exactly what he needs (he also still has a 40lb bag of kibble to finish off).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Along with the percentages, a balance over time is much easier to work with. He may need more or less weight per meal, just watch his body tone and adjust. Same for your muscle meat, bone, etc- don't think you need weight your portions, etc just eyeball it and aim for that general balance over each week or two. Some meals might be fattier, some bonier.
That’s what everyone has been telling me! More of a balance over a week, not meal to meal. I think all the numbers were just making me feel like it has to be exactly precise down to the day. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts