Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boomer is a 14 month old 75 pound GR that is my first dog, acquired in Mar 2017. A a new dog owner I'm overjoyed and curious about this behavior, but he truly enjoys being held, cuddled, and scratched. He's very affectionate and while it's difficult to describe, he seems to be very much enjoying the whole holding episode, as it's a bit humorous that a large dog enjoys jumping in my lap to be held. Are GR's a naturally affectionate breed or do I have a rare one?

Not necessarily an even interesting post, but I like the people on this forum and enjoy the responses, often very varied.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
I have an 86 pounder who is 3YO that also loves to be held like a baby. The rest not so much but this one boy is the real lover of the bunch.

·
Kate
21,767 Posts
I think it's a dog thing.

If they are not jumping in our laps or curling up next to us, then they want to be near or touching.

·
Kristy
9,931 Posts
The breed is extremely affectionate in general but I'd say that the number who are comfortable being held restrictively for any length of time is probably pretty low. Just like people, you can love someone a lot but not be comfortable with physical contact or want to snuggle. I do think also that some of them just get too hot to snuggle much. You're lucky to have a boy who is a lap dog, my collie will not snuggle at all, he wants to be near you but not touching. Anytime I sit on the floor to pet him, he jumps right up and gets a toy to play with , that is his currency. Ellie will sometimes snuggle with me but mostly when it's cold, she would love to have me petting her 24 hours a day but not usually on my lap. She sits next to me or lays down if she's tired. She is a very funny dog.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I've always thought it was a boy thing. Archer is a big lap dog and wants to cuddle as close as possible, particularly with my husband. My female, Teal, is also cuddly but she wants to be near you and touch you but not be held in your lap like he does.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My last golden, Chloe, loved to be held for up to 4-5 minutes and then I think she would get to hot and want a little space, as in laying on my feet or right next to me on the couch, sprawled out to cool off.
My current golden, Daisy, is only 13 weeks, but she's a total cuddler so far. She loves being held like a baby and doesnt try to squirm or be put down, unless my older dog is nearby and they're wanting to play. She truly enjoys every moment of being held, petted and brushed and you can hear her making little noises of approval and sighs of enjoyment.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Rukie is literally on top of me for half the night. I'm not sure if I can keep doing it because my back hurts. As a puppy he came onto my lap every morning. Now he feels the need to be held on my lap only occasionally but still wants lots of petting and cuddling.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I think certain breeds, like goldens, are more apt to being cuddly and affectionate in general, but how cuddly/affectionate depends on the dog.

Kaizer wasn't really a touchy-feely type dog when he was younger. He always wanted to be near someone (mainly me), always on my feet or next to me and always wanted to be pet, but he never wanted to cuddle/snuggle. He's 2.5 and now he wants to cuddle more.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Molly is also a lap dog and loves to be cuddled, held, and spooned. Maisey hates it! My husband still tries with her, though :D

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Sounds like you are describing my 15 month old, Tripp. He is a very clingy touchy feely puppy, sometimes to the point of being obnoxious. My other two boys are very affectionate too, but don't insist on it to the extent that he does.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Very typical for the breed. Today I had four of them all trying to sit on my lap at the same time (plus the cat was trying to find a spot too). I do find some are more velcro than others, some just need a few minutes to cuddle, some will cuddle for hours.

I always tell people that this breed was created to hunt with the hunter during the day, and to keep the hunter warm at night.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think the breed is pretty affectionate, one of the reasons I am drawn to them. My Bridget loves to be with us and cuddles up to us but not really a lap dog unless she is scared of something. Maura is very affectionate at 12-weeks and I hope it stays. She wants to be in your arms and gives lots of kisses. Her mother and aunt are absolute lovebugs. When I met them I knew I had to have one of the puppies. Just very in your face “love me, I love you” dogs. Sometimes I’ll be reading or doing work and she just wants all attention on her, sure it can be annoying but I try to remember that she won’t be this small forever. By the size of her paws - she’s going to be a good size. And I realize she might grow out of it (hoping not)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I totally agree about it being more common in boys.

I've always thought it was a boy thing. Archer is a big lap dog and wants to cuddle as close as possible, particularly with my husband. My female, Teal, is also cuddly but she wants to be near you and touch you but not be held in your lap like he does.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Seems pretty common in goldens to me. My first girl was not a cuddler, but my current girl is not happy unless she is touching you. She loves to be picked up and held, sit in laps, etc. I can be sitting on the couch and get up, walk across the room (literally like 6 feet) to play the piano and she will jump off the couch, follow me to the piano, and lay on my feet while I play. My family frequently dog sits two golden girls who are also very much velcro dogs. And I groomed a boy who was very velcro and wanted to sit in my lap when he was done being groomed! :--heart:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts