Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saving Lilly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I have to rant here. Today I helped rescue an Am.Bulldog/Border collie mix from BSL, thats Breed Specific Legislature if you didn't already know. Lilly was living with a family in Columbus OH and she escaped out of her yard 2x. Neighbors turned her in and because she looks "pittie" she had until the 6th of January or else. The owners could have kept her if they purchased liabiliity insurance for $100,000.00. This was not an option so fortunately we found a rescue for her in NY. Today when her transporter went to pick her up the children were crying and her dog sister was wailing. Is this fair? Think not. Fortunately we found a rescue to take her. We retriever owners don't have to worry about this yet but is it on the horizon? I sincerely hope not but if you live in a state that is considering BSL. please do all that you can to prevent it from happening. I cannot imagine some authority taking my dog from me. I live in PA and right now we only have to deal with the puppy mill situation but if this ever should come up in legislation I certainly will do all I can to vote it down. Okay enough of my soap box, just wanted to let everyone know that this insane mentality is out there and though we currently own "safe" dogs who knows what is going to be the next breed. The German Shepherds, Rotties and Dobermans have all been targeted. Now it is the bully breeds or unfortunately dogs that look bully like Lilly. Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this injustice. Today a family lost their pet because she looked like a pit bull.
Kathi

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more; as the AKC says, and I'm paraphrasing, "don't ban any breed--instead, look at the deed."

You are also absolutely correct, IMHO, that we golden owners live in a bit of a privileged world, where we think BSL could not impact us. But it most certainly can. There is such a thing called "incrementalism." This means when a law is made that impacts one set of breeds, it is easy to decide to make a law to impact another, and another, and another. What's so bad about goldens? For starters, their size. As politicians become encouraged to make more laws, and ban breeds, well, we still won't be safe; they'll eventually grant a free pass to the small dogs--and not to the large ones--and then you'll see our breed targeted.

I am in Florida, and sadly, a politician from South Florida is proposing BSL throughout the entire State (it is currently outlawed). Anyone wishing to get information, to email, call, etc. is welcome to pm me. In Miami, BSL was grandfathered in, before the State outlawed it, but there is a coalition working to overturn the ordinance there, and try to prevent the proposal from becoming law state-wide.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I am not sure if it is BSL, but I lost my home owners insurance for owning a German Shepherd, my previous agent had her listed as a Mixed Breed, but I was afraid if she did ever harm anybody, I wouldn't be covered. I had to go into the Massachusetts insurance pool, and add a binder for her. It ended up sounding worst than it was, the binder was only another $150 a year.

On the dangerous dog list was dalmations, german shepherds, pit bulls(or mixes), dobermans, rottweillers, great danes and wolf-hybrids(or mixes). When I asked why the Great Danes, it was because of the injuries caused when a Great Dane knocks someone over.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
I assume what you mean by insurance for $100,000 means it covers $100,000 of damages not that it costs $100,000; do you know what the premiums would be?

Also, would it have been possible to do genetic testing and prove it wasn't a pitbull?

I had heard of homeowners insurance not covering certain breeds but not this type of legislation.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
My heart goes out to this dog and her family. Thank you for at least pitching in so that she can continue to live. May she find a new, great family soon. Just heartbreaking.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I feel really bad for these people. Great picture in the car. Dog doesn't look very "vicious" to me.
I do wonder what they might have done better to stop the dog from escaping twice. Might have prevented some jumpy neighbors from calling on them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Here is the Miami Dade Law--so Susan6953, you can see what politicians are capable of :yuck:

One is the description of pit bulls, the other is the actual ordinance--doesn't address genetic testing--if this family lived in Miami, they'd have to hire an attorney to buy them time, get the genetic testing done, house the dog in another county so the long arm of the dog catcher doesn't quarantine the dog--can you spell "ka-ching?" No family should have to go through this--no family, for no breed.

Attachments

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Actually, it says they have 90 days to comply with the law. I guess that is assuming it actually is a pit bull. It doesn't really address cases where it is unclear what breed it is. I imagine in the future people will know they need to be able to prove a pit look a like is not a pitbull.

Since the I made the previous post I looked up the laws in Washington and found that there are several cities here that ban pitbulls altogether. One also bans rotweilers. Compared with that your law doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

I know there are GRF members here from the UK which I believe bans pitbulls. Maybe they could shed some light on this issue.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Actually, it says they have 90 days to comply with the insurance part of the law. They might have to muzzle the dog when they take it outside in the meantime, though, if their fence is not high enough.

Since the I made the previous post I looked up the laws in Washington and found that there are several cities here than ban pitbulls altogether. One also bans rotweilers.
Look at (b) right under that section (a). When the law was passed several years ago, owners with pit bulls were given 90 days to comply with insurance, licensing and enclosure requirements. After the 90 days--no "pit" bulls.

As you've discovered that there are bans in various cities in Washington, as well as Miami, the entire state of Florida will be considering a ban as the proposed law was just filed a few days ago:

http://bit.ly/7OPqVm

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
I'm kind of surprised none of the laws addresses genetic testing; it seems to be pretty common these days. I thought I remembered someone from the UK mentioning that in the UK if you have a dog that looks like a pitbull you have to prove that it isn't but I don't know if it mentioned what type of proof was accepted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rappwizard, Thanks for posting the information about the proposed FL bill. I just emailed my rep to let him know that I disagree. I can't imagine what it would mean to ban a breed from an entire state. Keep us posted if anything comes from the bill.

I feel so bad for this family. It would be heart-breaking to have to give up your dog like this.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I'm so sorry, but I'm so glad you were able to get her to a rescue. By any chance did she go to Out of the Pits in NY? Hmm, now I can't remember if that is the name of the rescue or not. The children must be devasted.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I am not sure if it is BSL, but I lost my home owners insurance for owning a German Shepherd, my previous agent had her listed as a Mixed Breed, but I was afraid if she did ever harm anybody, I wouldn't be covered. I had to go into the Massachusetts insurance pool, and add a binder for her. It ended up sounding worst than it was, the binder was only another $150 a year.

On the dangerous dog list was dalmations, german shepherds, pit bulls(or mixes), dobermans, rottweillers, great danes and wolf-hybrids(or mixes). When I asked why the Great Danes, it was because of the injuries caused when a Great Dane knocks someone over.
Are Dalmations dangerous??

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Are Dalmations dangerous??
According to the insurance companies, they tend to bite more. Years ago after all the Dalmation movies, there were a lot of poorly bred ones out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts