Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two nights ago, my mom took Ranger out for a walk only to come back with the surprising news that Ranger had tried to poop on the walk. That is NOT like him since he hates to poop on a leash (which is fun when we go camping.) I let him outside and he ran off and squatted, got the zoomies, then squatted again, zoomied, then squatted again. At this point, I'm suspicious so I go check out the area of the first squat and can't see anything on the ground. Go to the second spot and think I see something...but it doesn't look like poop. Finally, the third spot confirms it: Ranger had the runs so badly that it was just liquid, like clear-ish liquid. Argh!

Luckily, it was early enough that I pulled his supper. His breakfast had been around 9am and was normal - chicken hearts - and nothing else. I was up every hour letting him outside. He had the runs and at one point (around 3am) started vomiting. He was definitely NOT zoomie happy anymore. He was lethargic and lying down in the way he does when his stomach hurts. So that was two nights ago. I stayed home from school and he had no food until the next day at 7pm (water had been given around 11am, in small batches and he was fine) which was about 24 hours since the start of the runs, and close to 36 since his last meal. He had bland diet: boiled potatoes and chicken in two small meals.

Last night he had no bowel movements. He had a small bland meal this morning and no bowel movements. I got home around 2pm and let him outside and his poop was still runny, but not clear liquid anymore. More "poop" like.

So, at this point, what do I do? His last meal was at 6:30 this morning and he had runny - though more solid than the night before - poop at 2pm. I'm thinking of holding off on food again to let his digestive tract rest up a bit...yay or nay? I DID give him a small amount of pumpkin around 8pm but that's it. Thoughts?

(Oh, and he's much perkier. He's been back to his normal self all day and doesn't understand why I'm not feeding him.)

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think if his poop is starting to get more soild you could give him another small bland meal.
It's not really solid, though. It's no longer clear-yellow liquid but it's still liquid...just more opaque and poop-like in colour. Still coming out like a faucet. Sorry if that's TMI. Just not sure what to do. It's better, but not solid...not anywhere close to solid, just not a straight liquid anymore.

Blech.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm good point. The dudes were only on the front lawn, though...and there's no way they could have tossed something into the back yard based on the house's location. But you're right, it does seem suspicious.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Sooo sorry Ranger is sick, hope he is doing better this morning. Don't restrict his water, diarrhea is very dehydrating. When my guys or fosters get the runs, I feed them boiled white rice (the rice helps to 'bind' and is easy on the stomach) with hamburger and a little pumpkin for a few days, then gradually reintroduce the regular diet, which usually takes care of things.
If he is not improving though, a vet visit may be in order.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You can give him an Imodium to stop the diarrhea. When Kirby had these episodes I would give her a plain piece of white bread through out the day, it helped to bind her up.

Make sure he gets plenty of water, he may be dehydrating after a couple of days of this, if it doesn't stop today I would call the vet. Best Wishes to Ranger.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
If I have a dog that is "all exits no waiting" I would be at least consulting my vet. I am glad you blanded his diet, but anything longer than 24 hours needs a vet. Dehydration can come QUICK when both ends are involved.

Hope Ranger feels better really quickly.

Reactions: Ranger

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Hoping Ranger is feeling better this morning and things have a bit more "shape" to them. If he still has the runs, after all you have done, I also would be heading to the Vet. Even if it is only some sort of stomach bug, they can at least give you something to help stop the runs. Be sure to bring a sample with you if you go to the Vet. Keep us posted.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Ranger was in high spirits all yesterday evening and while poops were runny, they were better and he was pooping close to his normal schedule (not like the first night when we were outside every hour.)

Oh, and his water was only restricted 1-3 hours after he'd been vomiting, gradually given some, and then full access.

But last night, he had a little pumpkin and accidentally got a cookie (it fell out of my pocket and he grabbed it). By 2am, he was acting sick again (lethargic) and by 3am, he'd gone outside to throw up. No interest in food. He slept through the night.

Now it's morning and he's less lethargic and hasn't vomited since 3am. Let him outside and his poop was still runny. I'm wondering if the cookie got things all topsy-turvy again or if it's a combo of having an empty stomach, too. Ranger's always been a dog to throw up if he goes longer than 8-10 hours between meals...

I'm thinking I'll call the vet if he doesn't perk up. He seemed totally fine all day yesterday and the poop was getting better...then a set back last night. Poor boy.

Should I continue with the boiled potatoes/chicken/pumpkin for a late breakfast? To sum up, he hasn't vomited in the last 5-6 hours and while his poop was runny, it was better and he's only pooped twice in the last 24 hours.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Since he tends to throw up with an empty stomach (my Maggie was like that), I'd try a little bland food and see if he keeps it down.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Poor Ranger :( I think I'd be heading to the vet at this point. A cookie is a pretty benign object, and if it set him off that much, his system is in a really fragile state. And even if he's not throwing up anymore, runny stools and very little food could cause him to start dropping weight pretty quickly. The recurring lethargy worries me, too. It almost sounds as though his immune system was making progress but is losing ground now. I do hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'd definitely be getting Ranger to the vet to find out what is causing the intestional problems. As well, the vet can give you meds that work incredibly fast to bring the loose stool under control.

When my guys have loose stools, I feed raw, lean ground beef, cooked brown rice & pumpkin. It works & they LOVE it!

Reactions: Ranger

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone - Ranger has had a little breakfast of 3-4 boiled baby potatoes (he doesn't do well on rice), a little boiled chicken, and some pumpkin...all mixed in with a little water. He's kept it down and it's been 5 hours now, so I'm about to give him another little meal. He hasn't pooped since 7am and hasn't vomited since 4am.

Also, his energy level as picked up. He's chasing squirrels and staring at cats, despite my best efforts to keep him quiet. It's hard to distinguish between him going to the back door because has to "go" and him going to the back door because he just saw a squirrel.

If he regresses in any way later today, we'll be heading off to the vet ASAP. Thanks again everyone!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts