Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leo is nine months old. Two weeks ago (as of this coming Monday) he was neutered and has been on antibiotics. Since we lack cheese singles or anything particularly useful to wrap his Amoxicilin in, I've been giving him a single slice of bread with a little bit of peanut butter. If it matters, it's whole wheat bread and Natural Balance peanut butter. The peanut butter does however contain Omega 3 fish oils, and I'm unsure if that could cause our problem here. Anyways about four times in the past week and a half Leo has just urinated in the house. Without any warning or anything whatsoever, he just goes. Leo is fairly adept at being able to hold it, as some days he's along for 12 hours or so, and other days he has people there the entire time.

Every time he has peed in the house someone has been in the room with him and he just did it completely randomly. His sack is still a little bit black and blue from the surgery, and for the past two weeks he's been wanting to drink a lot of water. Due to these accidents in the house I have monitored Leo's water intake and let him out fairly frequently. In fact today before he urinated in the house, he had been outside running around for a good ten to fifteen minutes. I am however unsure as to whether or not he attempted to potty outside while he was there. Any ideas? I'm seeing the vet on Monday and would like to have an idea of whats going on before getting blindsided.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
It could be a urinary tract infection.

There was about 2 days when MacKenzie appeared to not be able to hold it when she was about 9 months old. I came home to her being in the crate and a very upset husband. I guess she had quite a few accidents that day. I went to bring her outside, and she peed as she was going to the door.

The vet thought it might be from submission, her urinary test came back negative, but I insisted it did not seem like submission, so she gave me an antibiotic. In 24 hours she was back to normal.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Sorry, I just saw that he is on an anitbiotic. Maybe call the vet and see if that one would handle a urinary tract infection.

Reactions: iforget

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amoxicilin is often used to cure UTI's, however it is not the only thing that's prescribed. The type of bacteria found is necessary to prescribe the right antibiotic. I will ask the vet to take a sample unless I can convince my dog to pee in a jar.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Sounds like a UTI to me too. He will probably just need a different antibiotic. The antibiotic we are given after a spay/neuter is not the same one needed for this. Good luck and let us know.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I am surprised he was sent home with an antibiotic, and it leads me to wonder if anything minor but unusual happened during the surgery? As far as my limited experience goes, tramadol, rimadyl etc are given, and antibioctics only if there is a seroma/hematoma. I could be wrong.

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Could very well be a UTI. The antibiotics would be specific depending on the bacteria. If a UTI developed then it is possible that any struvite crystals can begin to form into small stones due to abnormal ph levels thus complicating matters. Oxycylate stones are formed independently and not secondary to a UTI. I would suggest a sterile (through the belly) urine sample for an exact culture to determine the bacterial type. Any other sample methods could give a compromised result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts