Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My name is Charles, and I am looking forward to becoming a Golden Dad one day soon! :) I currently live in a 1 Bedroom 1 Bathroom apt in downtown Manhattan. Luckily I am 2 blocks from a very large park (Washington sq.) and a couple more from another (Union Sq.)! I see Goldens fairly often in the city which is nice. But I am a little concerned the lack of apartment space could be an issue. I realize the dog will get most if not all its exercise outside at the park running around, which he would go everyday. But are any of you concerned that a 1bed/1bath apartment on the 34th floor could present a big issue? My partner is currently working from home so someone will be with the puppy all day!

Just looking for any advice and/or feedback from experienced Golden owners!

Thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
945 Posts
Welcome Charles. Personally, I don't see space as an issue as long as the pup is getting enough exercise outside the home. Good luck in your journey to owning a Golden. This is my first time and she is the most amazing dog we have ever had :)
Jules

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
As someone who has only raised Golden puppies in apartments and a townhouse, the space is not an issue at all. The dog will want to be where you are. Dogs don't run around homes that are 2000 sq feet, they stay in the rooms where their people are. As long as you are committed to getting your pup outside several times a day, every single day (rain, snow, cold, wind, heat) for good exercise (running and playing) and all the bathroom breaks, you'll be fine. It's a major commitment, but I know personally that it is definitely doable - if you are committed.

That said... the 34th floor would concern me. It is hard to house train a puppy when you have to wait for an elevator. Baby puppies need to go out about every 30-60 minutes max for the first few weeks they are home and learning. My highest level was only ever the 3rd floor - and I had stairs. I scooped up the pup and ran her down the stairs. About 16 times a day.

Maybe someone who has done it from a highrise will chime in.

Reactions: CharlesDerek8

·
Kristy
10,013 Posts
Agree small home isn't a problem with an apartment - it's the commitment to 3 am upset tummy potty run when it's 40 degrees and raining.

And understanding leash walking isn't exercise - it has to be aerobic exercise which can be tough when the puppy is not obedience enough to be off leash and would rather chase other dogs than play fetch. Puppies and dog parks aren't a good mix - do a search of the forum on this. If you see GOlden owners or large sporting breed dogs you might strike up a conversation and ask their input. People love to help if you give them a chance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
House training would suck from a 35th floor apartment. At around 8 weeks, I was taking my pup out pretty much every 30 mins he was awake. Lot of those trips ended up in frustration because he got too distracted with all the smells and sounds.

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
you could look into those real grass porch potties, some have a subscription service where they send you turf weekly as the grass dies. just to get you through to 12 weeks at least as at 8 weeks they really can't hold it in much.

I potty trained while on the 16th floor, and yes its difficult especially if they have tummy aches and you need to make it down quick, but it is doable! my life was slightly easier as my pup arrived at 13 weeks. once they are potty trained, apartment life isn't an issue. honestly i know a lot of owners without a yard that are so much more involved and active with their dogs compared to those with them ( some think exercise is releasing their dogs to the yard for their business, and thats it...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the feedback so far. Generally the main gist I was expecting! The porch potty is a good idea! The dog will get to the park daily and walked 3/4 times daily. I guess being so high up concerns me a little considering it can take up to 5 minutes sometimes waiting for an elevator. But I think this is all workable and I am committed to spoiling this pooch with love and time! Anyone here in Manhattan or another large city?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I raised my pup in a 650sq foot apartment on the 26th floor, before moving to a townhouse at 8months and then a house at year. When she was 8wks, I set an alarm to take her down the elevator every hour to a patch of grass across the street (less dogs freq there, so less concern for Parvo). She took to sleeping though the night very quickly, so that was not a concern. And we had very few accidents. The big key is carrying them to the potty spot not letting them walk. They are less likely to have accidents when carried. Once they have gone potty, then you can walk them on the way back. It's just making sure they don't have an accident in the lobby - especially when they are excited to see people coming in.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Agree small home isn't a problem with an apartment - it's the commitment to 3 am upset tummy potty run when it's 40 degrees and raining.
This, in all and total honesty, is truly not an issue. It is probably like having a sick baby. You love your dog, you are always going to get up and get them out, even at 3am or in the rain or snow. And you don't resent it because it is just part of life. Really, really. I think when you have never had a yard to just let them out into, you just never know what the other side is. You just know getting on shoes or boots, putting on a leash and popping outside. You develop a routine and it just is what it is. :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I raised my dog on the 30th floor of a high rise in a big city. House training was no issue at all and never used a porch potty in my life. I just picked him up out of his crate first thing in the morning and carried him. I held him waiting for the elevator, thru the lobby, out the side door, and across the street to the grass before I set him down. I did this until he was too big to carry, prob around 4 months old haha. It worked very well and he house trained very fast and easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts