Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Harvey tried a free sample of Nutrish and I have never seen him so excited over dog food. I've had him on holistic foods since he was 2 months old and he's now 10 months and I've been thinking of switching him to Purina Pro Plan, mostly because I am broke and he doesn't like his healthy expensive dog food.

I bought a small bag of Purina Pro Plan and he wasn't thrilled with that either. I was just wondering if anyone had advice on Rachel Ray Nutrish. I know it's not the best but is it comparable to Purina or is it really bad? I do like that the proceeds go to rescue but I've read some bad reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and if anyone feeds Purina Pro plan- what kind do you feed? We tried the Adult Large breed chicken and he was not impressed :/

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't even think about feeding my dogs a food made by Rachael Ray. I do like Rachael Ray when it comes to human food, but I can't say that I'd trust her dog food. I'm very, very hesitant when it comes to brand new foods. Pro Plan has been around for many, many years and is a very good quality food. I'd go with Pro Plan. Our new pup, Tyson, is on Pro Plan chicken and rice puppy formula and is doing great on it. Tucker ate Pro Plan until he was about 7 months old, but we had to switch him to California Natural once he was diagnosed with a corn allergy.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Rachel Ray's Nutrish is basically garbage with a celebrity face on it....

Ingredients are listed by weight - Chicken contains a lot of water, chicken meal doesn't contain as much - so while chicken might be the first ingredient by weight there's not likely to be a lot of it.

Rice, Corn meal and soybean meal - fillers plus fillers, plus fillers. Gross.

Animal fat - from what protein source? They don't have to list the source if they call it "animal fat". Yummy.

Next there's more fillers: Corn Gluten meal, more rice, oatmeal (which isn't bad until you realize it's just another filler), then beet pulp...

So there's a bit of meat and meat meal - and fillers....

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dried Peas, Dried Tomatoes, Dried Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Olive Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Dried Parsley, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kind of what it was thinking. It's a shame b/c he absolutely loves The Nutrish (maybe he's like me and likes what's not good for him). He didn't hate the Pro Plan though, just didn't love it quite as much. I'm sure he'll get used to it :) Thanks for all the advice!

·
16,000 Posts
I've fed Pro Plan for over 15 years. Performance, and ORIGINAL Formula Chicken and Rice, NOT THE SHREDDED BLENDS Cr*p. I also use Weight Management, and Puppy Formulas.

Rachel Ray is a cook, not a dog nutritionist, and thanks, but no thanks. Gimmicks don't impress me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This is my recommendation for a very reasonably-priced meat based kibble with simple ingredients, that costs about $1 per lb. (less than Pro Plan) and is made by the Natura company.

Healthwise Chicken Meal and Oatmeal
Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural Source of Vitamin E), Pea Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Salt, Herring Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid), Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Lecithin, Rosemary Extract

I like the fact that Healthwise formulas (also puppy and lamb formulas) do not contain unnamed "animal fat" (kind of a mystery what that may be in any given bag) and does not depend on "corn gluten meal to supply protein. Ingredients on a bag label are listed in the order of weight before cooking. So when the only meat listed in some brands is "chicken", once the moisture is gone from cooking the chicken is probably not the primary ingredient by weight any longer.

Here is a link on where to buy Natura products in your area (which are many). Any store that sells any of the Natura products (EVO, Innova, California Natural, Healthwise) should be able to get it for you.
http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Corn gluten in both of them? Forgedaboudit.......
Dudley my pit terrier mix had seizures for 3 years because of corn gluten.
Seizures virtually ended when he went on Newmans Own organic, and thats what Piper & Paco are on now in addition to raw.
No CG for my fur babies.:no:

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
I've fed Pro Plan for over 15 years. Performance, and ORIGINAL Formula Chicken and Rice, NOT THE SHREDDED BLENDS Cr*p. I also use Weight Management, and Puppy Formulas.

Rachel Ray is a cook, not a dog nutritionist, and thanks, but no thanks. Gimmicks don't impress me.

Formula Chicken and Rice 2nd ingredient corn gluten meal, also has poultry by-products

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
The FDA tested hundreds of dog foods...a multitude of brands.... for cat and dog dna and found none. So that has been pretty much put to rest as a wild rumer. So though I wouldn't say its impossible.....I am confident that dogs and cats aren't in dog foods. That would be SUCH a nightmare for a company......

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
This comes from the link:

Dogs, cats not found in dog food
Because pentobarbital is used to euthanize dogs and cats at animal shelters, finding pentobarbital in rendered feed ingredients could suggest that the pets were rendered and used in pet food.
CVM scientists, as part of their investigation, developed a test to detect dog and cat DNA in the protein of the dog food. All samples from the most recent dog food survey (2000) that tested positive for pentobarbital, as well as a subset of samples that tested negative, were examined for the presence of remains derived from dogs or cats. The results demonstrated a complete absence of material that would have been derived from euthanized dogs or cats. The sensitivity of this method is 0.005% on a weight/weight basis; that is, the method can detect a minimum of 5 pounds of rendered remains in 50 tons of finished feed. Presently, it is assumed that the pentobarbital residues are entering pet foods from euthanized, rendered cattle or even horses.

I don't think rendered pets is something reputable companies want to deal with. They would like to stay in business. So I do think they have standards on what rendered material they get.

That said....who really knows whats in there.....

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
I,ve been giving raw steak and chicken here and there, I think I might try my own raw diet for them using this guys ingredients

Our dogs eat a variety of wholesome foods. Basically, 85-90 % is made up of Raw Meaty Bones (Chicken & Turkey necks, backs, wings along with Pork necks, Pigs Feet, Lamb riblets, Rabbit, etc.) with the remaining 10-15% being served up in Veggie Meals. These meals vary greatly in their content and may contain some or all of these items...Crushed veggies ( Carrots, Cucumber, Dark Lettuces, Green Beans, Bean Sprouts, Alfalfa Sprouts, Apples, Oranges, Mangos, Kiwi, Bananas, etc.), Organ Meat (Liver, kidney, gizzards, etc), Eggs, Garlic, Wild Salmon Oil, Vitamins C & E, Alfalfa, Kelp, and wholesome table scraps. Mackerel and Sardines will periodically be put in with the Veggie Mix. Green Tripe is an excellent food for dogs, however it is difficult to get fresh here in the U.S. We purchase it frozen from a local supplier

little off topic, but good idea,s

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
Harvey tried a free sample of Nutrish and I have never seen him so excited over dog food. I've had him on holistic foods since he was 2 months old and he's now 10 months and I've been thinking of switching him to Purina Pro Plan, mostly because I am broke and he doesn't like his healthy expensive dog food.

I bought a small bag of Purina Pro Plan and he wasn't thrilled with that either. I was just wondering if anyone had advice on Rachel Ray Nutrish. I know it's not the best but is it comparable to Purina or is it really bad? I do like that the proceeds go to rescue but I've read some bad reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and if anyone feeds Purina Pro plan- what kind do you feed? We tried the Adult Large breed chicken and he was not impressed :/

I love Rachel Ray, she's a good cook, talented entertainer and she's cute as a button, but she doesn't know beans about animal nutrition.

Pro Plan is a much better product than Nutrish.

·
16,000 Posts
costco,s food is halh the price of food at pet stores and has no meat by products or gluten,

google proplan bad dog food, better yet heres a link

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-ratings/purina-pro-plan-dog-food-dry/

I'm pretty sure that the good health and longevity, excellent condition, beautiful coats, and overall soundness that all my dogs have enjoyed has been due, in part, to nutrition.
It is always very interesting to me how there are those who say that the food I feed is "junk", "bad food", etc, and yet, my dogs have none of the "issues" that those belonging to those same people have...:scratchch

I put little stock in sites that promote one type of food over another, thereby declaring all others "bad".

Thanks, but I'll stick to the evil Pro Plan. There is a reason that so many of the top winning dogs in several venues are fed this food.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
That's kind of what it was thinking. It's a shame b/c he absolutely loves The Nutrish (maybe he's like me and likes what's not good for him). He didn't hate the Pro Plan though, just didn't love it quite as much. I'm sure he'll get used to it :) Thanks for all the advice!
You know, there's nothing wrong with eating a Big Mac every once in a while...and sure Big Macs are pretty yummy....but...you can't live on Big Macs alone.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts