Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Golden in Training
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I was wondering what others here have chosen to do in my situation.

I can have my pup vaccinated Monday at 17 weeks and two days old for rabies, or hold off until 6 months.

My state doesn't have a requirement as to which is required.

Two vets at my practice say always give rabies vaccine with final set of puppy boosters. The newest vet there says she prefers to give it at 6 months.

My friend who runs a nonprofit agency that trains assistance dogs says she prefers to wait until 6 months.

My puppy's breeder prefers six months, but stipulates in her contract that the owner must vaccinate for rabies at or before the age of six months.

All of my dogs have been vaccinated for rabies around 16-18 weeks of age.

Imy still researching, but wondering when and why others have chosen to vaccinate for rabies at specific ages?

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My vet is very laid back but he got pretty riled up about delaying the rabies. We live in a rural area and he said he's seen calves with it. Rukie got it with the last set of puppy shots.

Reactions: s.m.forester

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,201 Posts
the final booster shot is generally when they get the rabies shot. That will be between 16-20 weeks depending on what vaccine protocol you or your vet has chosen.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I prefer to wait until 6 months. Guess I've seen too many pups that have reactions to injections so don't like to do more than one shot at a time. At 6 months they are old enough to handle a reaction if they have one. It's also a good time for a full exam and blood panel. Just something I do yearly and a good place to start.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I prefer to wait until 6 months. Guess I've seen too many pups that have reactions to injections so don't like to do more than one shot at a time. At 6 months they are old enough to handle a reaction if they have one. It's also a good time for a full exam and blood panel. Just something I do yearly and a good place to start.
Forgive me for jumping in here, but if you wait until 6 months for a rabies, doesn't that mean no walks in the neighborhood until 7 months? I thought pups needed their rabies shot before it was safe to walk outside of their own yards?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,201 Posts
Forgive me for jumping in here, but if you wait until 6 months for a rabies, doesn't that mean no walks in the neighborhood until 7 months? I thought pups needed their rabies shot before it was safe to walk outside of their own yards?
No that is for Parvo and distemper as those are contacted through contamination like walking in grass where an infected animal went to the bathroom and another dog walks across and can contaminate the paws and then the dog locks and gets infected.

With Rabies, the animal hasto receive a bite or otherwise has saliva or blood infect a cut or ingested somehow.

·
HALSEY'S SOUL
18 Posts
I had everything scheduled exactly. My SOILY'S final set of first shots was RABIES & ONLY RABIES at 4 1/2 months. I made sure EVERY shot was separated by 2 weeks. DO NOT GIVE IT WITHIN 2 WEEKS AT LEAST OF A BOOSTER SHOT.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,599 Posts
I don't like to combine it with the other vaccines. So I usually get it about a month after the last round of puppy shots.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have to get the rabies shot at 16 weeks. I have a fox den 30 feet from the house, bobcats and a mess load of Coyotes here. I live in the SC mountings, already had a coyote watch us from the wood line at night during a pee break.

·
HALSEY'S SOUL
18 Posts
3 months,4 months 5 or 6 isn't quite as worrysome from reactions as long as there is at least 2 week separation from booster or to lesser extent other shots e.r.-bordetella etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts