Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our golden boy"Kopi" is almost 6 months old. He won't leave our 8 year old cocker alone. I know Kopi just wants to play, but we can't risk "Ziggy" getting hurt. He's had a torn ACL and surgery to have it repaired. "Ziggy" really doesn't want much to do with Kopi and he won't put Kopi in his place, either. Both boys love their long walks with Dad. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't have much advice for you but we have the same situation. We have two 11 year old cockers and Duncan tore his ACL a year ago chasing deer. Duncan didn't have surgery and is doing pretty darn good. He runs all the time...just slower.

Peyton won't leave are other dogs alone either and sometimes jumps on them. Our vet said for the most part they need to work things out among themselves. She said its hard to know when she's going to jump on Duncan. I know it's tough watching her play with a dog with a bad knee but so far no problems for us.

We do mix play time up - sometimes 1 dog at a time, sometimes 2, and other times all 3.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Did yours have TPLO?

Penny is half way thru her recovery. We were told at the beginning that she was not to have any contact with other dogs. If other dogs were in the house, they had to be kept separate. We're fortunate in that she's an only puppy. (10 year old puppy, that is;))

Sending you hugs and prayers....it was hard enough with one dog! :smooch:

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I do hope you take it upon yourself to step in there and end the playing when it becomes too much for the older dog. I dislike seeing an older dog being used as a stuffie - not saying that this is happening here but I do think that we doggie owners have to be very sensitive to our older pups when an energetic pup comes along.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Both my pups (one is year and a half other is little shy of a year) both just want to play play play. I had my parents dogs for 3 weeks while they were on a vacation and their golden is pushing 12 year old and only has about 5 minutes worth of play time in her before she is done and wants nothing to do with them. I ended up putting a bunch of blankets up on my nice couch so she could climb up there and get away from them and get a break. Maybe get a small plastic fence or something that you can barricade them off from each other for a while or try and distract Kopi with a chew bone or something to get him off the other dog for a while.

You said they love walks which was my other idea. Wear Kopi out as much as you can and then praise and reward him when he is laying down relaxed and not picking on your other pup. Eventually getting rewards and praised for laying nicely or chewing on a toy will be more of an interest than going after the other pup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts