Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI've read up online about all of this and was surprised at the wide number of answers I found. I'm hoping there is a more general consensus.
Jake was born on 9/1/2012

When I received him from the breeder it said he was "wormed" at 3, 5, and 7 weeks.

He also received 2 Vaccinations. One at 7 weeks ol (10/21/12) and one on 11/9/12 (I just found out I was supposed to get his last vaccination 3 weeks after we got him. So I need to get that asap.)

The vaccinations that he was given was Distemper, adenoviruis type 2, parainfluenza, and parvo (the sticker they put on his records is brown and says "Nobivac 1-DAPPv."

My question is what else do I need to give him?

There is a LuvMyPet Clinic in my area today so I thought I'd jump on it since it seemed like a great price, and no office visit!

I know I need to give him one more round of shots, and some of said to give him the rabies now, others say later.

Also do you think I need to do a fecal and heart worm exam? I believe the breeder already did that before I got him.

Just trying to wrap my head around what all he needs next. Thanks so much!

By the way one person I talked to said that since Jake is already almost 4 months old he doesn't need that last round of booster shots. That he only gets them up to 16 weeks old. Not sure about this big of info, but it sounds off.

Anyway, ready for your feedback.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Are you in Dallas? If so, I'd probably skip the Luv a Pet and go with a regular veterinarian. There is a bad parvo epidemic going on now and you don't want to expose a puppy to dogs that may not yet be vaccinated (or even let his feet touch the ground where unknown dogs eliminate or walk in clinics where these dogs might frequent). Here in northeast Dallas one clinic had 24 cases in one month and some others in my vicinity (Lake Highlands) average about 2 cases per month. There was an active case in the clinic when our Yogi was scheduled for his initial exam and the veterinarian and nurse made a house call to our home to make sure Yogi wasn't exposed.

I'm not sure about your questions about timing since it sounds like your puppy is past due for the boosters and your pup's regular vet can make a determination on the best way to handle that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you in Dallas? If so, I'd probably skip the Luv a Pet and go with a regular veterinarian. There is a bad parvo epidemic going on now and you don't want to expose a puppy to dogs that may not yet be vaccinated (or even let his feet touch the ground where unknown dogs eliminate or walk in clinics where these dogs might frequent). Here in northeast Dallas one clinic had 24 cases in one month and some others in my vicinity (Lake Highlands) average about 2 cases per month. There was an active case in the clinic when our Yogi was scheduled for his initial exam and the veterinarian and nurse made a house call to our home to make sure Yogi wasn't exposed.

I'm not sure about your questions about timing since it sounds like your puppy is past due for the boosters and your pup's regular vet can make a determination on the best way to handle that.
Thanks. I may end up doing this deal at Banfield where you pay 33 bucks a month for 12 months and it includes everything plus the neuter.

·
Registered
991 Posts
both my vets want the last shot to be after they are 16 weeks old so that all of Moms immunities are out of their system. I was running late to get that shot and ended up getting that shot and a booster. I did the rabies Tinker needed it to go to the nursing home with the 4-H group.
Parvo is hitting huge in some areas so be safe and protect your pup, I did a routine worming at about three and half months and if your in a heartworm area get the test and get the pup on the monthly meds better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
You really should contact a vet. We give all of our new puppy and kitten owners a hand out on recommended vaccines and health care. The CDC actually recommends de worming at 2,4,6,8, 10, and 12 weeks of age. Then once monthly for several more months. Monthly heartworm prevention will de worm if you use something like Heartgard Plus. Plus you need to go to a vet to get heartworm prevention. Last DAPP should be given no earlier than 16 weeks. Mine get rabies at 12 weeks since we live in the woods.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thanks. I may end up doing this deal at Banfield where you pay 33 bucks a month for 12 months and it includes everything plus the neuter.
I've heard, but not experienced, that Banfield will push a lot of things on pet owners that may not be warranted or necessary. Also, since most Banfields are located inside Petsmart stores, be very careful with letting your puppy walk in/out of the car to the store. IMO, you'd be much better off going with a veterinary clinic that isn't associated with Banfield, but I'm one of those people who wants my dog to see the same vet continually, so we have a history together. I find that forming a partnership with the dog's vet early on is better for the dog's overall health....plus if you ever have an emergency I'd rather go to a stand alone veterinary clinic. This is just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
About the heartworm test. There is no point in a heartworm test right now, because it takes 6 months for heartworm to develop and show up on a test. But putting him on a heartworm preventative is a must right now and like all others said, go see a vet. You can't skimp on a pup or any dog for that matter IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need some help..My puppy (a year and half old) had a series of shots at Banfield. I have never owned a dog so I just went with what the vet said he needed. Apparently he was given 2-3 live viruses and a series of other ones all at once. 2 days later he had trouble standing and walking....They gave him a steroid shot and pain meds. They said it was common and some dogs handle shots this way. One week later his front paw was lame and he had more difficulty walking. They could not see him so we brought him to another vet where they took x-rays and nothing showed up. They put him on different pain meds and muscle and joint meds. 2 weeks later he was bleeding internally and platlets were low, plus he got kennel cough (never around dogs). Bottom line I feel all those shots ruiined his immune system and he has been suffering and deteriating from them. He is a pure bread dog and young so all this arthritis and hip dyslplasia talk is ridiculous, especially since he was a crazy puppy until 2 days after his shots. Does anyone else knwo anything about this....I am beside myself!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts