Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we finally bought Remy a slow feeding bowl. He always rushes when eating but we realized just how much the other day when he got too excited after eating, vomited, and it was all solid pieces of kibble... not one was chewed!

So we gave him his dinner in the new bowl tonight. Lo and behold he is eating slower, but visibly frustrated. :uhoh:

What does my SMART boy do next? He flips the bowl over, spilling the food on the floor. :311taunt-

Well, I guess he figured out how to get it out faster :doh:

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
LOL! They are too smart for their own good sometimes! Good news is, even if the food is spread all over the ground, it'll still help to slow him down a bit eating. You could also try spreading the food all over a cookie sheet if you would like to keep things more contained. ;)

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Cookie sheet worked for us and so glad someone recommended it here on the forum. As a pup Coop would literally inhale his food and sometimes choke. He was sure fustrated with his food all over the sheet, but sure did slow him down.

I think Remy is just too smart! Brilliant thinking of turning over his bowl.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yep, been there, tried that! We went to 2 Kongs and wetting down the rest of the food with a little water. Instead of 10 seconds, it now takes about 5 minutes for Toby to eat.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bowl seemed to help while it was employed... but as soon as he turned that sucker over I know the lightbulb really went off in his head... I don't think we'll even be able to use it now that he's "figured it out". We use the kong wobbler on occassion and he has a great time with it, of course it goes all over and knocks into walls and tables, etc, but it works his brain and leaves him eating much slower.

I will most definitely be trying the cookie sheet idea. His eating has really sped up since we've switched from Pro Plan, which has fairly large kibbles, to Hi-Tek Naturals which has pretty tiny kibbles. If it wasn't doing so well with his sensitive stomach I'd consider changing to a food with a larger kibble... he seems to chew those better. This food has made his coat 10x better and is also grain, by-product, and soy free. I'm not sure if he was allergic to something before or what, but his poos are FINALLY solid and smaller, and he seems much happier when he doesn't strain to potty.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That is one smart cookie you have on your hands. That made me LOL.
Can you find a bowl stand/holder that will fit the specialty bowl?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
LOL - what a smart boy.....the fact that you were probably laughing once he did it probably made him think he had done well also - but when these smart goldens do stuff like this - how do you help but laugh. They are just too smart and funny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts