Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few different questions and concerns.

Our pup will be 9 months in a few weeks.

*He's always panting. I don't know if it is because it is cold here (in MI) and we keep our heat at near 72ish; wondering if there is reason for concern for the panting or is it normal because of being hot with his coat. During the day, I turn the heat down to 69-70.

*When he sits next to me and I pet him on the back along his spin, it looks like he has spasms when I scratch him; it only happens when I scratch him along the spin and it quivers/spasms on both of his sides.

*He has been stinky! I didn't know if he rolled in anything so I gave him a bath and he stinks again. I'm not fimilar with male dogs (I've always had females) so I wonder if he's started marking. I haven't seen him do anything differntly (like marking) but didn't know if he's done so, if it smells?

*As of lately, he hasn't been eating like normal. Normal for him is gulping it within 30 seconds. Now he eats a few kibbles and doesn't eat the rest. Plus, he hasn't been interested in his marrow bones at all (very unusual for him). He is eating Pacifica Acana.

I know I have alot of different concerns and I hope that he is healthy and that I'm overly protective so thought I'd ask all of you. Thanks a bunch for your help!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I would go ahead and get a vet check. All of these symptoms could be nothing more than him growing up, but they could be pointing to something wrong also. Better to be safe than sorry. (the spine thing is pretty normal, I wouldn't worry about that one at all).

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
For cats, panting shows pain. Not sure if it's the same for dogs. I know Max pants sometimes. He pants at night in bed before he falls asleep. He is panting right now. I'll have to start taking notice of when he pants but I think he pants a decent amount of time. Nothing I'd been worried about.

Maybe he's ticklish on his spine I know if someone does it to me with just the right touch I get all quivery too. Might just be a reflex.

Stinky = gassy? or just smelly in general? Look up and learn about anal sacs. Could be that.

Max doesn't eat much some days and others he gulps it down. I think it has to do with their growing spurts a bit.

However, I do think that any time you have a list of concerns/questions that is as extensive as yours, a wellness check to your vet is in order. :)

·
16,000 Posts
I have a few different questions and concerns.

Our pup will be 9 months in a few weeks.

*He's always panting. I don't know if it is because it is cold here (in MI) and we keep our heat at near 72ish; wondering if there is reason for concern for the panting or is it normal because of being hot with his coat. During the day, I turn the heat down to 69-70.

*When he sits next to me and I pet him on the back along his spin, it looks like he has spasms when I scratch him; it only happens when I scratch him along the spin and it quivers/spasms on both of his sides.

*He has been stinky! I didn't know if he rolled in anything so I gave him a bath and he stinks again. I'm not fimilar with male dogs (I've always had females) so I wonder if he's started marking. I haven't seen him do anything differntly (like marking) but didn't know if he's done so, if it smells?

*As of lately, he hasn't been eating like normal. Normal for him is gulping it within 30 seconds. Now he eats a few kibbles and doesn't eat the rest. Plus, he hasn't been interested in his marrow bones at all (very unusual for him). He is eating Pacifica Acana.

I know I have alot of different concerns and I hope that he is healthy and that I'm overly protective so thought I'd ask all of you. Thanks a bunch for your help!

Some behaviorists have identified panting as a sign of happiness/excitement having nothing to do with being too hot or cold. Zoom has always done it, too...

When you scratch him and he quivers/"spasms", you've hit "his spot" - some dogs will kickk/thump their leg when scratched "just right" :) Not to worry.

Stinky? Could be anal glands, a common enough issue in immature young males.

Is he getting biscuits or other treats? How many times per day is he fed? Is this a new food for him?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When Brady was 9 months old he starting leaving kibble, it was my sign he didn't need to be fed as much anymore because most of his growing was done.

I notice during the temperature changes Brady will pant more often. I noticed this time it was when we started to use the heat again (we keep it at 67). This went on for a couple weeks, I think he was adjusting to it being too warm.

In the past, Brady had a hot spot that took me three days to realize it was there. He smelled, I gave him a bath. Next day he smelled again, I gave him another bath thinking he rolled in something outside. Look under all the fur beneath his bib and collar, that is where Brady's hot spot was hiding. I did not find it until it was actually "hot" to touch.

It never hurts to check with a vet, but I also know how I read too deeply into everyday scenarios.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm relieved to hear no problems with the panting and scratching at the spin. Although I'm thinking you were all right on about the anal sac causing the smell because the smell is poopy-like. :confused:

Anything I have to do to this area or does the vet do anything?..This is new to me!

Thanks for all your help and replies! I appreciate it!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm relieved to hear no problems with the panting and scratching at the spin. Although I'm thinking you were all right on about the anal sac causing the smell because the smell is poopy-like. :confused:

Anything I have to do to this area or does the vet do anything?..This is new to me!

Thanks for all your help and replies! I appreciate it!
My vet told me that sometimes young puppies have over active anal glands, much like a human teenager with oil glands and acne. They usually out grow it. IMO though, the smell from anal sacs smell more skunk-like than poop-like to me :yuck:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My vet told me that sometimes young puppies have over active anal glands, much like a human teenager with oil glands and acne. They usually out grow it. IMO though, the smell from anal sacs smell more skunk-like than poop-like to me :yuck:

Thanks for your help. He'll grow out of anal sacs and nothing I need to do? I had a visual that I'd have to pintch them or something - but hoping not! :uhoh:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks for your help. He'll grow out of anal sacs and nothing I need to do? I had a visual that I'd have to pintch them or something - but hoping not! :uhoh:
If that's the case then the vet needs to deal with the anal glands. Sometimes they need squuezed to get the excess out, and it makes a huge difference. Sadly my cat has to have it done, ugh. I would definitely make an appointment for him!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts