Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone just contributed a new posting to a thread on Torch Flinn today and it got me looking up photos and clippings. As is so often the case, I ended up with many more questions after doing a little "research" than I had when I started!

I will start by saying that I wanted to save some photos of Torch (Evelyn/Mrs George) Flinn on my computer. When I went to the original page where one photo came from-a photo I had seen many times before- I read the information carefully.

One thing I noticed that I had not noticed when I saw this photo in the past was that it was submitted by Jackie Mertens of Elgin, Illinois, from Topbrass. Maybe in the past when I looked at the photo I just hadn't been a member here long enough to recognize Jackie and Topbrass as a breeder and a member of this forum. It certainly struck me this time, though.

The picture showed Torch with Joe Wattleworth and Tigathoe's Magic Marker who had been bred by Torch and Pat Sadler and owned and trained by Joe. Her call name was, "Chick".

I later looked at Chick's pedigree and saw that her dam was Tigathoe's Chickasaw. Just as the word, "Tigathoes" had sounded odd to me and sent me running for my girl Brit's pedigree when I first heard it, the word, "Chickasaw" now sounded familiar and unusual.

So I looked at Brit's pedigree again and she had a lot of "Chickasaw" dogs in her pedigree.

I have to ask. Where do the Chickasaw dogs come in? Who breeds or bred them?

As soon as I learn one thing, I have a thousand new questions.

I would very much like to know the connection between Chickasaw, Tigathoes, and Topbrass!

NewfieMom

Attachments

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,510 Posts
Chick was the Dam that produced the litter that included Kiowa II and Quar. (FC AFC Tigathoe's Kiowa II OS FDHF and Dual CH AFC Tigathoe's Funky Farquar OS DDHF FDHF)

Kiowa II was one of the most influential dogs in the ancestory of the Topbrass lines.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Golden Retriever Club of America (GRCA) placed Tigathoe and Chickasaw on the list of Historical Kennels, kennels which have contributed significantly to the breed and are no longer active. I do not know if that means that the words "Tigathoe" and "Chickasaw" cannot be used in a pedigree, however. I would think that banning the use of those words in a pedigree would be too restrictive, especially since many dogs do carry on the bloodlines of the Tigathoe and Chickasaw kennels.

Was there a connection between Chickasaw and Tigathoes lines? Is this a non-pedigree topic? Is this a breeding topic?

NewfieMom

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Chickasaw was a kennel name, too.
I wrote above that Chickasaw was a kennel name, too. Harry and Dawn Erickson owned a kennel called Chickasaw that is now on the GRCA list of historical kennels. One of Brit's ancestor's was their dog. If you look at the dog's pedigree you will see that his siblings and offspring all have the kennel name.

Pedigree: Am. CH. Chickasaw's Mischief Maker WC

NewfieMom

·
the party's crashing us
4,172 Posts
FYI Joe Wattleworth is a friend of mine and we very frequently train at his Lazy J Ranch in Williston FL. Sacred ground :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI Joe Wattleworth is a friend of mine and we very frequently train at his Lazy J Ranch in Williston FL. Sacred ground :)
Well he walks among the legends! You appear to be an accomplished dog trainer as well from the small amount I can see in the photo that appears when you post. I am interested in anything you would like to share here! :wavey:

NewfieMom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts