Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I put a sweater or sweatshirt on Bailey when we go on our walks when it gets below zero or single digit weather? Is the ground too cold for her paw pads? I have mushers secret on order, so the salt doesn't burn her little paws. Can she walk on the snow/ice roads? There is a dirt road on my path that turns into pure ice/compacted snow all winter long. This use to be my favorite time for running, I hope walking isn't so bad. I'm much slower then before. :bowl:

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
We head out in all kinds of awful Maine weather, but do avoid road/driveway salt. I don't put any "clothing" on the goldies, but I don't let them swim in the ocean if it's under 20 degrees putside, lol. Senior citizens and young pups do need care and caution in the cold and it's dangerous if they get soaked like from a bath, but I have never had a problem on a hike/snowshoe with a dry grown up golden even at - 12.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I do put a dog coat on my dog's in single digit or below zero temperatures (probably more because I think they're just so cute in them)...but also because they roll around and play in the snow and get soaking wet. Before I started using the coats, I noticed they would start to shiver from this. No shivering with the coats. I generally use a coat that has a water and wind resistant nylon outside with a fleece lining inside. As for the paws, do try to avoid the salt/sand as much as possible. But if you're like us and have no choice but to walk on treated roadways, the musher's secret works well and I also like to wash the paws in warm water immediately on your return.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Being a Mainer my guys have seen it all. I use Mushers Secret on the paws when we walk on salted roads in town. As for swimming I let them decide but we are never far from the truck if I see shivering. (haven't yet). The worst situation I have seen is when the snow is just the right consistancy that it forms snowballs on their feathers. That is when I get the "Help me dad" look. I've had to stop dozens of times on a walk to clear the snowballs before.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
A couple of thoughts...

- Keep the hair on Bailey's paws trimmed short. Goldens get these little balls of ice on their coat and it can very uncomfortable when they get little balls of ice between their toes.
- If you walk on salty roads, make sure to wash and dry his feet when they come inside.
- Rookie loves the cold weather. I have never put any clothes or shoes on him. We're rarely out for more than 45 minutes or so in the really cold weather though.
- When the roads get icy, I put on my Yaktrax. They were especially useful when Rookie was younger and pulled on the leash. I didn't have to worry about losing my footing.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the roads get icy, I put on my Yaktrax. They were especially useful when Rookie was younger and pulled on the leash. I didn't have to worry about losing my footing.
I've seen these before and I should really consider buying them. I had a spinal fusion in my neck 6 months ago and I still have two herniated discs. It could be very dangerous if I fall and if I fall the wrong way.

I have no idea what size to order for a jacket. I don't know when the dogs stop growing. Right now Bailey is 18 inches tall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I have never put my Golden's in a sweater ( Frosti seem's to like the Frost and my older Golden Bangsi ( means Teddy ) seemed also to like it ). Although when we whent ski-walking with Bangsi ( which will be done with Frosti next winter ) we put vaselin on the hair in the Paws ( and trimmed the hair to match the paws ) that way the snow didn't stick to the hair. ( Also done when going hunting in the snow ).

My previous Goldens Bangsi and Kátur ( Frosti is of course just 5 months old ) both loved the cold and the snow ( Frosti seems to be the same as well ) but I never put any clothes on them. ( Even in a lot frost which can come here in Icelandic highlands, just always watch them to check them out )

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra and I walked (all be it short sometimes 10-15 minutes) when it's 20 below.
Last year was miserable that way.
I also noticed her toes really pack up with snow when she is ramming around in the backyard or on walks.
I found a site for making dog boots, and have made several pair with a second strap.
http://domestikgoddess.com/sew-your-own-winter-dog-boots/#comment-6045
here is my version...(bright polar fleece)

She wasn't thrilled with them, but she sure likes coming right into living room and laying wherever right after our walk.
It also keeps the salt etc off her toes.
Here is Sierra all decked out with her boots and match neck warmer (rarely used)

Karen

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sierra and I walked (all be it short sometimes 10-15 minutes) when it's 20 below.
Last year was miserable that way.
I also noticed her toes really pack up with snow when she is ramming around in the backyard or on walks.
I found a site for making dog boots, and have made several pair with a second strap.
http://domestikgoddess.com/sew-your-own-winter-dog-boots/#comment-6045
here is my version...(bright polar fleece)

She wasn't thrilled with them, but she sure likes coming right into living room and laying wherever right after our walk.
It also keeps the salt etc off her toes.
Here is Sierra all decked out with her boots and match neck warmer (rarely used)

Karen

Awesome snow boots! I'll have to make them and try it out! All I need to get is the fleece material. I have two wonderful sewing machines that I use for quilting. Do they stay on? I did order mushers secret, but I would like to try the boots also.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Awesome snow boots! I'll have to make them and try it out! All I need to get is the fleece material. I have two wonderful sewing machines that I use for quilting. Do they stay on? I did order mushers secret, but I would like to try the boots also.
The boots stay on pretty good, we have lost a couple in deep snow or she steps on one with her other paw and pulls it off, so my advice is to make a couple extra.
The bright colored fleece is a big help if you do lose one. The sample set I made first was grey, :doh: blended right in with muck and never did find it.
I down sized the pattern also for my girlfriend's Shitzu to go out for potty in, and also my bosses Beagle puppy last year (he said the puppy would literally scream when she was out for potty at 20 below:no:).
They sew pretty quick, just fleece, elastic and velcro.
The do wear out, Sierra has put a toenail thru on a couple, I just shorten them at the toe and we are good to go again.
What I like, is they go on pretty easy, it's not a fight.
I've looked at Muttluks but for the price, I have to have a idiot strap to make sure we didn't lose one. My girlfriend with the Shitzu has a pair, but her husband says it's a real fight to get them on, and likes the boots I made better for that reason.
I have thought about making the boots and then dipping or painting on some of the tool grip stuff on the bottom, we'll see...:rolleyes:
Sorry to ramble...
Karen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts