Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first GR, even I read some books, but I still want to take some advice from your guys when I pick up the puppy what I should be taking care of? Something always happens, you know.

And also, I have a question, will the breeder give me all clearance certificates and first shot proof? If not, I should keep asking, right?
The certificate should include OFA certified hips, certified elbows, cardiologist certified, and ophthalmologist certified and anything else?

Thanks a lot for helping

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You should get health certification proof before you get your puppy. That should not be a last minute, at pick-up item. Ideally it is a before I sign a contract and place a deposit.

Ask the breeder for the parent dogs registration names and/or numbers. You can then view the health certifications online at www.ofa.org. If you post them here, someone will double check. Always verif any health claims.

This video may help.

·
Premium Member
18,165 Posts
Just to be clear, the OFA hips and elbow exams, cardiologist exam, and ophthalmologist exam are done on the parents, the sire and dam, not on the puppy. You should get those, or get the registered names and be able to look them up, well before you get your puppy. When you do pick up your puppy, yes, the breeder should give you the shot records and vet report. If you are travelling across state lines with the puppy, they need to have the vet sign a health certificate for the puppy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts