Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kirsten and Whiskey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I wanted to start out by saying I am pretty sure that this is normal, but I worry and just want some reassurance.
Whiskey is now between 7.5 and 8 months. He has been on Natural Balance Premium for the past 2 months with no problems. In the last 3 weeks he has been losing tons of hair! Mainly on his torso, back and sides. There are no bald patches, just a shorter much denser coat in it's place. He still has long hair on his shoulder blades and where his tail meets his back. His tail and butt feathering are still real full too.
My question is, is this just him blowing his puppy coat? When I take a hair rake to his coat outside, it looks like a golden fluff tornado!
Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
The timing is right for it to be his puppy coat coming out and adult coat coming in. The adult coat generally comes in as a strip down the back first, and then the sides.

Assuming he is health and parasite free, it sounds like your baby is starting to grow up :)

·
Kirsten and Whiskey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The timing is right for it to be his puppy coat coming out and adult coat coming in. The adult coat generally comes in as a strip down the back first, and then the sides.

Assuming he is health and parasite free, it sounds like your baby is starting to grow up :)
Hmmm, could be be backwards? LOL. No parasites and healthy. Maybe the shoulder blades and back area is his adult coat already...I guess we'll see. He is being groomed in a few weeks...they aren't gonna have nearly as much to work on!

·
Bayne's Mom
8 Posts
Change in coat...

Our boy is 8 months old now and just a couple weeks ago I started noticing that the hair down the back in the center looked shorter than the shoulder and rump area. What you decribed with your Golden seems to sound identical to what we are seeing. The hair looks like he was wearing a saddle on his back!! Very strange looking because it is so much diferent than the rest of his coat. We are noticing alot of shedding over all, but this area on the back just looks so different. Again, no bald spots either just cropped course hairs, were as the rest of the coat appears normal.
Interesting to me is that when our boy was growing up from his orginal puppy fluff 4-5months? the hair strip down his back was the first to come in that looked like his adult hair, and now that very area is what looks odd???? This is normal? We did change food with Bayne about 1 month ago from Eukanuba to Natural Balance (slowly) and stilll transitioning a bit
Like you say, quess we will see...
:crossfing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts