Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have a litter, with deposits, when do you contact the potential buyers?

We have a deposit on a pup (Lab) and the pups are due "late Oct". It is KILLING me to not call and get an update. :p: I don't want to "bug" the breeder anymore than I need to. Trust me she will hear from me I am just trying to figure out how and when to not piss her off. ;)

·
16,000 Posts
I let anyone with a deposit know as soon as the litter is whelped (waiting until a decent hour, if it's during the middle of the night.)
I also create an email group for each litter so updates, photos, questions, etc are shared.
As a breeder, I don't consider a puppy buyer contact "bugging" me at all!

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
I usually contact folks on my list as soon as mom and babies are settled in...I also post the arrival on my website, and have a daily photo page ....As Laura said above, I don't consider puppy buyers bugging me either, If I did, then it would be time to hang up the leash!!!!!!!!;):)

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I will email them just to "check in".

I really want good news today. I am in a blue mood. Missing Max, and my sister lost her 15 yr old girl (golden) this week.

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
I hope when you call you get good news to cheer you up. I'm sorry you are feeling down. :(

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Did she give you a date? It could be that her 'late October' is this weekend and there's no news yet. Although an email wouldn't hurt, just understand if there's things going on they may not get back to you right away.

Lana

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I dont generally take deposits until a month or six weeks after the pups are born. I like to know that everyone is healthy and happy before taking deposits and sometimes I don't take deposits at all... That having been said... I always have a bigger waiting list than I have puppies and I have been known to bounce someone off my list if I don't feel that they are appropriately interested in the pups and I NEVER feel like I am being bugged... the more emails I get from the potential family the more I get to talk to them and the more comfortable I feel about sending one of my babies to them.

I would say if your breeder is less communicative than you would like and you start feeling like you are bugging them then try just a call once a week. If you dont feel like you are getting what you need from them then you also have to rethink them as your breeder. The breeder puppy person relationship is a two way street and you both have to feel comfortable with the relationship.

Shalva

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
I just wanted to say as a "puppy buyer" I too felt that I didn't want to "bother" the breeder too much....but I would send an email periodically, to check on progress if I hadn't heard anything lately. With an apology for "bugging" them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts