Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Ok... Here's the background... My entire family lives in Southern Cali and I live in North Carolina... That being said, I spend a lot of time traveling to Cali and I want to bring my main man, Kahuna, with me :)

Problem: I'm not wild about checking him as cargo on my flight (especially during summer, obviously) but IDK how to get him home...

So, finally, my question: Can I get him into a therapy dog program and do those qualifications allow him to fly with the passengers? I've worked many places where people would bring their "therapy dogs in training" and was wondering if it would also apply to flights ;)

I am 100% ignorant on this matter and I know I will get good, solid info here on this forum :) I'm trying to get creative because I want him to go everywhere with me... He's my best friend... But I also don't want to traumatize him, or worse...................

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't stand leaving this hunk of love :D

Attachments

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
But if you put on a therapy dog bandana, you might be able to sneak him on.
Not that I would ever try something like that. ~~looks innocent~~

·
Registered
684 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about him being in cargo. Yes, it would be ideal if he were with you in the cabin, but we have never had any problems flying with our dogs in the hold and we have flown all over the world with them.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Impersonating a service dog is a Class C Misdemeanor in most states and subject to substantial fines.

In my book it is just wrong....A slap in the face to all people that truly are in need of service animals.

But if you put on a therapy dog bandana, you might be able to sneak him on.
Not that I would ever try something like that. ~~looks innocent~~

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
In Maine misrepresentation is subject to a $500.00 fine for each offense.

From animallaw.info:

VII. Wrongful Impersonation of a Person Needing a Service Animal

Several states add further penalties for wrongfully impersonating someone who needs accommodations for a service animal. Missouri, for example, makes this a class C misdemeanor and makes the wrongdoer civilly liable for any damages. Should a person commit this same act again, he or she faces a class B misdemeanor for subsequent violations. MO ST 209.204.

In a similar vein in Colorado, a person faces a class 1 petty misdemeanor for using a blaze orange leash on a non-assistance animal. Texas also prohibits a person from using a harness or leash the type of which used by an assistance animal in order to represent that his or her dog is an assistance animal. V. T. C. A., Human Resources Code § 121.006.

The intent of these laws is clear: it is at the very least criminal to attempt to gain access and advantage by impersonating someone who relies on dog guides for his or her daily life. States are not necessarily providing benefits when they enact White Cane Laws or accommodation laws, but rather are putting someone with a disability in the position of a freely mobile person. One who takes advantage of this gains little sympathy in the eyes of the law.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I would never fly my dog as cargo, because I would be beyond devastated if anything ever happened to her and she died alone, scared.

Unless you can drive, I'd leave your guy home. To me, it's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I never meant impersonation... I meant actually go through the process to get him certified as a service dog............

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Therapy Dogs are guests by invitation only...hospitals/nursinghomes/schools/libraries etc etc...

Service Dogs/Assistance Dogs are not legally 'pets'...they are considered medically necessary equipment.

Are you asking if you could play him off as a SDIT (service dog in training)?
That is legally the same thing as impersonation a full-fledged SD....no difference.

If you are you asking if you 'could' buy a vest and some patches online, pop the vest on him and bring him on a flight becuase you will 'miss him'. Could you get away with it? Are you kidding? I guess only you can decide where your moral conscience lies...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Are you blind, deaf or physically disabled?
Do you plan to sell him to a person who is when he finishes his training?
If the answer is no, then you have your answer...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely not where I was going with this... That's why I asked the question... I admitted I was 100% ignorant so was just looking for some info... I NEVER said I wanted to "impersonate", that was someone else... I was willing to put the time in, but if it's the same thing then of course that's the end of it and I will figure something out... I'm sorry if I upset anybody but I did learn what I was looking for...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't worry to much about him being in cargo. Yes, it would be ideal if he were with you in the cabin, but we have never had any problems flying with our dogs in the hold and we have flown all over the world with them.
Are all airlines "created equal" when it comes to how they take care of pets in cargo, or are there some airlines that are better?

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Are all airlines "created equal" when it comes to how they take care of pets in cargo, or are there some airlines that are better?
Cargo is always noisy. Always dark. Never temperature regulated. I know some dogs do just fine flying cargo. Moving overseas is one thing. But is it a risk you want to take just for a vacation?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Definitely not where I was going with this... That's why I asked the question... I admitted I was 100% ignorant so was just looking for some info... I NEVER said I wanted to "impersonate", that was someone else... I was willing to put the time in, but if it's the same thing then of course that's the end of it and I will figure something out... I'm sorry if I upset anybody but I did learn what I was looking for...
I think there might have been some sort of misunderstanding. I never saw that you wanted to pass him off as a service dog, you were asking about therapy dogs. A lot of people get confused about the difference between the two.

No, getting him certified as a therapy dog will not allow him to ride on the plane with you.

If he was truly a service dog, then he could ride on the plane with you.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think there might have been some sort of misunderstanding. I never saw that you wanted to pass him off as a service dog, you were asking about therapy dogs. A lot of people get confused about the difference between the two.

No, getting him certified as a therapy dog will not allow him to ride on the plane with you.

If he was truly a service dog, then he could ride on the plane with you.
Thank you... It's partly my fault too because I wasn't sure of the difference between the 2, either... Like I said, ignorant...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cargo is always noisy. Always dark. Never temperature regulated. I know some dogs do just fine flying cargo. Moving overseas is one thing. But is it a risk you want to take just for a vacation?
Thanks :) Maybe I will look into allowing time for an awesome road trip across country instead ;)

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Thanks :) Maybe I will look into allowing time for an awesome road trip across country instead ;)
Honestly, road trips with your dog are GREAT!! I love travelling with my girl. You're more relaxed (because you have to make more stops for the dog) and those stops involve throwing the ball, or talking to people who come over to see your great dog. I have also found road trips to be very good bonding experiences, especially if it's just the two of you.

Reactions: cubbysan
1 - 20 of 44 Posts