Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Question re legs

762 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  vrocco1 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

i am the proud owner of a 3 year odl golden retriever - holly - who we purchased when we were living inthe Nethlerlands. I am now back in the Uk but have a question re holly's rear legs. She seems to have difficulty with them sometimes and often tends to put a lot of weight on her front legs when getting up and occasionally when walking her leg seems to 'slip' slightly. She also seems to 'bunny hop' a little when she runs . I am aware golden retrievers can suffer with rear leg problems; infact the vet told us this when Holly was a few months old but I wondered if other owners had similar experiences and if there was any advice that anyone can give

thanks for any advice

paul

#2 ·
JMHO, but I think you should get Holly to a vet for some xrays. If she is in pain, they may be able to help with medication. Of course, it could just be her structure. But, with an xray, you will know for sure. There are certain structures which can cause them to move funny.

#5 ·
Ditto. A full hip screen with reiview by a certified orthopedic vet. I'd also start a glucosamine supplement. I like K9 Liquid Health's Glocosamine product and I've seen it produce great results in dogs with HD and arthritis. Also, make sure to keep you dog on the lean size -- don't want to carry around any extra weight on less-than-perfect hips.

Keep us posted!

-Stephanie

#6 · (Edited)
I'm going to wait til Lucky's two, before I xray only because though he seems to use his front legs too much on occassion when getting up, and he does't seem to care for walks....he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in pain.

I think an xray is good to see whats going on. That way you know what to expect and you might have preventives and pain relief. HD sounds horrible but I believe it can be managed much of the time without huge operations. There are definately different degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.