Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned 14 month old lola for almost 4 months now. We adopted her at 11+ months old. It was at the end of last July and she was shedding quite a bit then. I brushed her yesterday and could hardly get any fur off of her! I know it is winter and that she has a heavier coat. Is it normal in the winter for them NOT to shed at all? Are there certain times they will shed more than others?( most likely spring??) Since I have not owned Lola a full year- I do not know what to expect--- many of the posters talk about the big deal of shedding. Thanks for any insight on this!

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My dog doesn't really shed much in the winter, but in the spring.... the fur flies EVERYWHERE.

Right now I can pet him and only a few furs come with the brush of my hand.

In the spring, I can pet him and get a big gob of fur LOL.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My experience with Goldens has been only one big shed in the spring where the hair comes out in clumps and there are dust elephants in every corner. I use a Furminator then to get that dead undercoat out. During the rest of the year there is shedding but nothing that 3 or 4 brushings a week can't handle. Possibly it differs in other locations due to weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts