Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
rose
497 Posts
makes my golden sick{thats not difficult} and the two mixed breeds normally cast iron stomachs gives them diareah{sp} so in my house we dont touch the stuff

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Most people here don't like it and don't think it's a quality food. I fed it to Putz until he was about 8 months old - at that time he decided he didn't like it anymore so I switched him. Our breeder had the pups on it only because it's readily available to everyone. I now feed him Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and he really likes it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My vet told me that IAMS tends to be too fattening for Goldens. We feed Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice for large breeds to Butters. He really loves it! It seems to be doing a great job as far as not making him fat as well :banana:

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
Your much better off to try a food like ProPlan, Canidae, Acana something that is just a step up from Iams. Even the Costco Brand Kirklands Signature Chicken and Rice is much better for them then Iams.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I don't suggest it, personally- my Whippets can do well on nearly anything but Goldens with their coat and ear and allergy issues so common tend to do better on premium foods in my experience :) Basically, every dog is different and some thrive on IAMS and some have endless problems with it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Your much better off to try a food like ProPlan, Canidae, Acana something that is just a step up from Iams. Even the Costco Brand Kirklands Signature Chicken and Rice is much better for them then Iams.

i have often wondered about that costco stuff....its cheap and the ingredients are great...

edit: i have never used iams. jake eats nutro large breed chicken with glocosamine and chondroitin. it works wonderful for him, and it is more readily available than some of the higher quality foods.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have always fed Nutru Rice and Lamb

since 1995, BUT during the pet food scandal, we became aware that they do sub contract wet food. My vet and I talked about the fact that dogs do well on their kibble. Yet I now feel a lack of trust. I just in the last 3 days have switched to Solid Gold Lamb and Rice, it'd got a funky name. My two are on a 50/50 blend and doing well. Just a couple of more days and we will be on all Solid Gold.

·
Bailey and Riley
1,454 Posts
If Iams works for your dog, feed it.

It's not the best but it certainly is not the worst.

Dog food around this place is like religion and politics, everybody has their own opinion.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,510 Posts
Iams is a good mid-grade food. There are some better and there are some worse products available. If your dog is doing ok with it there is no reason to change.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Iams has been a good food for Lucky. He gets full on it, and keeps a good weight. I do mix it with the Iams gravy or canned, as he does get bored after a couple of bags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts