Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so they say if the pup has runs to use a bland diet of chicken and rice. Her poop hasn't improved in 2 days :( today it's actually more eggy/watery/ and mustard color. The vet tech said to put her on chicken/rice (which she poos out) before bringing her in.

Question is should the poop solidify back to normal with chicken/rice? What sort of improvement is there if that's all she's eating?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
What age is the pup?
Big difference if the pup is 9 weeks old versus 9 months old...

·
Joy's & Charlie's mom
519 Posts
Hi,
My vet has already told me that chicken + rice can help actually but can not resolve the problem in every case.

Also the age is important to know.

If we suppose that your baby swallowed something bad, which is pretty often with our Goldens, then she could cover some infection which needs to be treated with medicines, and quickly.
I suggest you to go and see your vet.

:wavey:

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
The boiled chicken is bland, and hopefully allows an inflamed and irritated gut to settle down and of course provides protein. The rice can help bind the stool together. You should have seen some improvement by now. What does the vet think is the cause of the diarrhea?

I agree-time for another vet visit. A very young puppy can dehydrate very quickly, so you can't fool around with diarrhea at that stage. And not a good sign in an adolescent or older dog either.

·
Kate
22,437 Posts
I think she's almost 4 months old.

I took a glance back and you've mentioned diarrhea before? This has been going on since last week?

I would have her in for another fecal check. Make sure she doesn't have giardia or anything like that.

The other thing is to go over what she's eating (dog food, handouts/treats, what she's eating outside) that could be irritating things and causing collitis. Has your dog consistently had issues with the food she's getting. What kind of treats are you giving her?

A good example would be broccoli. A little off your plate here or there is OK. But it's going to cause intestinal issues if your dog gets too much of it.

Our Sammy couldn't have cheese. And he had his worst cases of collitis until we figured that out.

Our Charmy couldn't have moist food - it would definitely give him the runs for days afterward. And he had the same issues with some treats - beggin strips, etc.

My dog had issues with bloody and diarrhea earlier this summer. It was shortly after he ate something spicy he shouldn't have. I alerted the vet as to the blood and they felt that as long as he was acting normal and perky that we should try the hamburger and rice route. It took 4 days before I transitioned him back to his regular food.

With the hamburger and rice your dog is going to be pooping less. There might still be diarrhea at first, but as things settle down the system should go back to normal. <- You need to make sure you are measuring it out though, even if the dog looks hungry. Only 1 cup in the morning. 1 cup in the afternoon. 1 cup in the evening.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Normally with my dogs if I do hamburger and rice (I boil hamburger instead of chicken...just find it easier) their poops firm up pretty quickly. If it's been 2 days of the bland diet I would contact the vet again.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
You might also try a little canned pumpkin, tablespoon or two, with her food or in a kong. Make sure it is pure pumpkin not the pie filling with the spices in it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think she's almost 4 months old.

I took a glance back and you've mentioned diarrhea before? This has been going on since last week?

I would have her in for another fecal check. Make sure she doesn't have giardia or anything like that.

The other thing is to go over what she's eating (dog food, handouts/treats, what she's eating outside) that could be irritating things and causing collitis. Has your dog consistently had issues with the food she's getting. What kind of treats are you giving her?

A good example would be broccoli. A little off your plate here or there is OK. But it's going to cause intestinal issues if your dog gets too much of it.

Our Sammy couldn't have cheese. And he had his worst cases of collitis until we figured that out.

Our Charmy couldn't have moist food - it would definitely give him the runs for days afterward. And he had the same issues with some treats - beggin strips, etc.

My dog had issues with bloody and diarrhea earlier this summer. It was shortly after he ate something spicy he shouldn't have. I alerted the vet as to the blood and they felt that as long as he was acting normal and perky that we should try the hamburger and rice route. It took 4 days before I transitioned him back to his regular food.

With the hamburger and rice your dog is going to be pooping less. There might still be diarrhea at first, but as things settle down the system should go back to normal. <- You need to make sure you are measuring it out though, even if the dog looks hungry. Only 1 cup in the morning. 1 cup in the afternoon. 1 cup in the evening.
>>> Ironically the day she was getting better is when I gave her some brocolli. Didn't know that coudl agitate her tummy. I eneded up taking her to vet and they only made assumptions - something she ate or a virus picked up at puppy school. She is 5 months now.They gave her fluids and antibiotics. Still waiting for the first post-vet poop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I discovered that my golden had a sensitivity to chicken, and it gave him diarrhea, despite the fact that as a puppy he was eating chicken and rice (Eagle brand). So instead of chicken and rice for bland diet, maybe you should try the hamburger and rice, bland diet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another option to try is cottage cheese and rice. My vet recommends it since cottage cheese is a good source of protein and it's simple since you won't have to cook it. My dog, who eats ANYTHING, including dirt, won't touch it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts