Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in love with the pictures here, but it sparked another " dumb" question.
I invited my younger brother here as he just got about a month ago a Golden puppy. She is probably about 16 weeks now. ( just guessing..)
Now she is golden in color, but her litter mate ( the male was red) and another was a blonde. So here is my question-
If his little girl was in the middle of the colors, will she probably stay that color or will she lighten or redden with age? Its no big deal but I was wondering. Or does it have to do with the pedigree?
( I hope ya'all dont mind my questions- I am sure they seem simple to everyone.. LOL. )

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
A lot of people say....go by ear color. The color of your puppies ears is close to the color your dog will be as it gets older. This has been true with our Chester....Murphy isn't old enough to tell yet. Others I am sure have more information on this....

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
The tip of the ear is a good indicator, but it's not perfect. Most puppies tend to grow darker adult fur than their puppy fur. Going lighter is rarer (I've never seen it).

Parents' colors give you a good idea of what the litter will be like, but individual puppies can show up in a huge range of colors, particularly if one parents was dark and one was light or medium.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
... So here is my question-
If his little girl was in the middle of the colors, will she probably stay that color or will she lighten or redden with age? Its no big deal but I was wondering. Or does it have to do with the pedigree?
( I hope ya'all dont mind my questions- I am sure they seem simple to everyone.. LOL. )
If she's blonde now she won't change to red or vice versa. Her coat may darken some as she gets her adult coat. Look at her ears, that is usually is a good indication what her adult coat color will be. Goldens usually have lighter undercoats, they aren't a solid color.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of people say....go by ear color. The color of your puppies ears is close to the color your dog will be as it gets older. This has been true with our Chester....Murphy isn't old enough to tell yet. Others I am sure have more information on this....
Okay her ears are darker. ( so I have been told.)

The tip of the ear is a good indicator, but it's not perfect. Most puppies tend to grow darker adult fur than their puppy fur. Going lighter is rarer (I've never seen it).
Okay- great information!

Parents' colors give you a good idea of what the litter will be like, but individual puppies can show up in a huge range of colors, particularly if one parents was dark and one was light or medium.
He said the mother was golden, the father is red- but the sires mother was a blonde. He also said that she was right in the middle of the colors.
I just wondered. I know some breeds like even my own, they change colors alot- ( talk about giving one a headache as I should post one day how a Borzoi color works.. YIKES!).
The reason I was asking was because he said the undercoat is light. However that is probably 'puppy coat" -right?

If she's blonde now she won't change to red or vice versa. Her coat may darken some as she gets her adult coat. Look at her ears, that is usually is a good indication what her adult coat color will be. Goldens usually have lighter undercoats, they aren't a solid color.

·
16,000 Posts
You can also use the search option here on the forum and will find tons and tons of discussion on pretty much everythng that you have questions on.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can also use the search option here on the forum and will find tons and tons of discussion on pretty much everythng that you have questions on.
Thank you! ( I am still learning obviously... lol)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Here is that wonderful picture that shows the range of golden colors.

Attached Thumbnails

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Field dogs tend to be darker, show dogs more medium, and UK lines dogs very light, even cream. But that's not a hard fast rule by any stretch of the imagination. There's golden colored UK dogs and blond field dogs and darker show dogs. :)

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Undercoat, butt feathers, tummy coat are often lighter than the rest of a golden's body. I love blond butt feathers on a dog whose overall coat is darker than their butt:)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Field dogs tend to be darker, show dogs more medium, and UK lines dogs very light, even cream. But that's not a hard fast rule by any stretch of the imagination. There's golden colored UK dogs and blond field dogs and darker show dogs. :)
Wow- thats great- so what is she- ? Pedigree all US but several field no uk.. hmmmmmmmm.. Man - this is interesting - highly!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I think ear color is the best way to go. Most darken with age, rather than get lighter...

Both of Mira's parents were pretty dark, she is not as dark as either of them...[/QUOTE

Both of ours darkened to ear color as they grew from puppies. Now at 6, they are getting sugar faces and Maggie ( our light golden) is actually getting alot of lighter color along her sides. It's really quite beautiful and gives her beautiful shading (IMO).

·
Symbah&Saturn
17 Posts
My red Golden was dark red when he was a pup and is the same exact color as to when he was 7 weeks old. No color change at all.

Has that ever happened to anyone?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
A lot of Goldens are a blend of backyard bred American lines (which can look like anything but often resemble field dogs) with the odd show dog tossed in. So, basically, any color can be in her background and turn up :) The ears are a good indicator for sure.

·
16,000 Posts
There are always exceptions. My Zoom was a very dark puppy. She lightened up as she grew and is true gold, with light furnishings.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Both of my Boys are mixed lineage, field and conformation lines. Sam's parents were both a bit lighter than he grew to be.
Here is Sam my Bridge boy at 8-10 weeks
Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed Carnivore
Sam at 2 years
People Photograph Social group Family Child
Sam at 11 years...he darkened quite a bit from his early years to this point...then the grays started coming in all over, like blond hi-lights.
Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Dog breed

Ike's mother was dark like my Sam, his father much lighter, shades of gold and cream.
Ike is very similar in shading to his father...but I can see that he's darkened since this same time last year. You can see from this Autumn siggy that he darkened to match his ears.
He is 6 wks to 22 months in this collage.
Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Dog breed
In this pic he's 30 months old and has continued to darken. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to darken a shade or two.

Attachments

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
I've found that most will darken a shade or so - you can see the color darken in my signature pictures of my two Goldens. Griff was very light to start with but he is a light Golden color now.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Austin's dad was very blond and his mother dark red....right now at 10.5 months, he's a light golden...

Lincoln's parents were both dark red but he is very blond at 8.5 months....think his mommy was misbehaving!!!!

Reno's parents were dark golden and he seems to have followed in their footsteps...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts