Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
16,000 Posts
I'm confused about the bathing. My vet said to bathe him as needed. I was also told not to over bathe as it will dry them out. I've read all your post and it sounds like I should be bathing every other week or so. I use baby wipes on his feets after walks to get dirt or salt off. I use a wet cloth to wipe off his face/ears after playing with another dog to get the silva off. However, I haven't given him a bath yet and I've had him two months. He doesn't smell or look dirty. It's very cold outside as well. I'd like to hear from more of you on this subject. Thanks.

You cannot "over bathe" them. Ask your vet if he has ever watched the Westminster dog show, or the Eukanuba, on television. All those top dogs, with their beautiful coats are bathed a MINIMUM of once a week. You don't get coats like that without doing so, and they most assuredly are not dried out. Frequent bathing promotes coat growth and healthy skin.

My puppies are also bathed weekly, and I DO use "commercial" products. Here's a shocker - Dawn Dish Soap is periodically used on those gorgeous show coats to remove any grooming products that might have built up. I even know a handler who uses it (diluted) as a regular shampoo.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I'm confused about the bathing. My vet said to bathe him as needed. I was also told not to over bathe as it will dry them out. I've read all your post and it sounds like I should be bathing every other week or so. I use baby wipes on his feets after walks to get dirt or salt off. I use a wet cloth to wipe off his face/ears after playing with another dog to get the silva off. However, I haven't given him a bath yet and I've had him two months. He doesn't smell or look dirty. It's very cold outside as well. I'd like to hear from more of you on this subject. Thanks.
I use shampoos without detergent. If I wanted or needed to wash them more often than I do, it would not dry them out. But they don't need to be washed more than every 5-7 weeks normally. Good food keeps the smell away and they always feel very soft. Sometimes on a walk someone will stop to pet the dogs and they always comment on how clean they feel.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
Mine go to a professional groomer about twice a year. I've had a friend who does grooming show me how to do feet and ears which I do whenever they start to look shaggy. Nails get done every 2-3 weeks as needed. They get bathed when I think they need it (which is too frequently for them, but probably not frequently enough).

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Nyg gets a good brushing at least every other day which includes a spray of Listerine & water and a rake. Nails are done weekly as are touchups to the feet & ears. Thinning sheers are my favourite tool as they cover a multitude of trimming faux pas! Nyg never gets to the stage where a major grooming is required. When he's being shown, he gets bathed twice a week and then show eve & each day being shown. Show trim is done by our handler. I find that the nails need to be cut twice as often in the winter months as they don't get the wear in the snow.

I totally agree in that I can't stand a golden with Grinch feet - I want to get out the scissors & attack!!!!!

I've never had problems doing my guys nails due to the care/treatment given by their breeder. Connie clips nails on puppies on a regular basis just to get them used to the feeling. She clipped the nails on all of the 6.5 week old puppies when we were there last weekend. They just layed there good as gold and let her clip!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Tinkerbell hates to be brushed but does like a good raking every couple of weeks. When she is shedding her winter coat she gets raked daily. I have trimmed the hair on her feet myself a few times but it doesn't look as nice as when the groomer does it but it's better than being shaggy. I also try to keep the hair under her ears trimmed a bit so that it doesn't mat up.

As for bathing we do it as needed. When she was a pup it was almost weekly now that she is older and bigger not quite as often. I also take her to the groomer as needed. If her nails need to be done and she needs a bath I call the groomer.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
What is it that you or the others use?
I use the following & there are other threads that talk about what everyone uses on here - everyone has their favorite.

Solid Gold Super Sen Gelle Shampoo (Goldie)
Solid Gold Jojoba Oil Conditioner (Goldie)
DermaPet SebS Shampoo (Aspen)

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
...I've never had problems doing my guys nails due to the care/treatment given by their breeder. Connie clips nails on puppies on a regular basis just to get them used to the feeling. She clipped the nails on all of the 6.5 week old puppies when we were there last weekend. They just layed there good as gold and let her clip!
WOW!!! That is really neat!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I guess I'm a philistine here, but I don't mind the shaggy feet. If we have problems down there, I'll certainly reconsider the habit, but I'm perfectly happy with somewhat muppety feet.

I respect the frequent bathing of dogs, but don't practice it. Gus was probably bathed with soap about ten times in the six years I had him. Comet's had maybe three baths, and he just turned 1. They get baths when they get something truly nasty on them. Good clean mud and dirt gets brushed out once they're dry.

As far as grooming, I've taken to clippering the whole dog fairly short in the summers. They swim almost every day, and it dries in about a third of the time if they have a short cut. I also had trouble with Gus overheating since he was such an intense hiker and fetcher, and the short cut seemed to help with that. The grooming and show enthusiasts out there are probably cringing over that.

·
16,000 Posts
I guess I'm a philistine here, but I don't mind the shaggy feet. If we have problems down there, I'll certainly reconsider the habit, but I'm perfectly happy with somewhat muppety feet.

I respect the frequent bathing of dogs, but don't practice it. Gus was probably bathed with soap about ten times in the six years I had him. Comet's had maybe three baths, and he just turned 1. They get baths when they get something truly nasty on them. Good clean mud and dirt gets brushed out once they're dry.

As far as grooming, I've taken to clippering the whole dog fairly short in the summers. They swim almost every day, and it dries in about a third of the time if they have a short cut. I also had trouble with Gus overheating since he was such an intense hiker and fetcher, and the short cut seemed to help with that. The grooming and show enthusiasts out there are probably cringing over that.
Whatever works for you and your dog. But, I disagree with the premise that clipping a Golden down helps with overheating. They have a double coat which actually acts as protection and insulation. Dogs releas heat through their feet, and by panting, not their skin. Taking off the coat puts them at risk of sunburn, and also melanoma.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
...But, I disagree with the premise that clipping a Golden down helps with overheating. They have a double coat which actually acts as protection and insulation. Dogs releas heat through their feet, and by panting, not their skin. Taking off the coat puts them at risk of sunburn, and also melanoma.
Yes, that is right. Glad you pointed that out-I wasn't going to say anything. Humans perspire through our pores & dogs through their feet (the pads, specifically), as you mentioned. This is ONE of the reasons why keeping the paws trimmed short is so important. There's lots of information out there about this, so I'm not sure why others can't understand this phenomenon. :wavey:

·
Registered
76 Posts
...Humans perspire through our pores & dogs through their feet (the pads, specifically)...
Uhmmm! This could actually be used as a new thread. Everytime that I see dogs with "socks" or "boots" on I wonder if their owners think they are doing them a service or they just think it's "cute"...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I bath my dogs once a month and they get brushed once or twice a week depending how busy i am. I've never trimmed there ears or feet as i don't rust myself with a pair of sissors lol. Well Einstein goes to the grroomers twice a year same thing will be done with Shelley. Einstein's feet hardly grow shaggy and if they do i get my mum to trim them as i'm afraid i would accidently hurt him. The groomers don't even trim Einsteins ears as they don't need it his ears have always had short hair.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts