Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I am originally from Bangor/Orono and since my parents still live there, we are in the area fairly frequently. My last dog, a siberian husky, was not fond of water and it was always a 50/50 if she would come if called. So having a place to swim or run off leash was never really an issue. Eleanor however loves the water and is great off leash and I am wondering if you can recommend your favorite place for letting your dog swim and if you know of any places that allow dogs off leash. We frequent the Orono town woods but I am looking for some variety. The University of Maine has great woods, but you are not supposed to let your dog off leash.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cecelia

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
Sorry, I am in Portland, which is a long way off. Wish I could help! *But* if you are ever in Portland, there are tons of off-leash places. :) Jupiter prefers the 100-acre wood behind Evergreen Cemetery. We also drive to Freeport (when it's not hunting season) to romp around Hedgehog Mountain, because it's free and you can let your dogs off leash. Good luck!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I've got tons of places to let my guys off leash but I'm 1.5 hrs east of Bangor/Orono/Old Town. I didn't have a dog when I went to the University of Maine. We do have a couple of members from that area that might be of more help.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I'm also in the Portland area(Falmouth) and have about 20 great walks/hikes/swims in rotation, but all pretty far from Orono. On your way into the state, try Ferry Beach on Blackpoint Road in Scarborough. It's perfection.

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the recommendations in the Portland area. We are also there with some frequency as my sister lives in the area and often times use it as a break point on our way farther north. They will come in handy.

Cecelia

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm in Auburn and there is one place that i like quite a bit. It's called Mt. Apatite park. It's off Minot Ave (Rt. 121). It is an old quarry, so there are quite a few ponds and little streams (and muck holes, of course...). It says nothing in the rules about dogs, i was bringing Zep there to walk and noticed that everyone had their dogs off leash. After talking to a lot of fellow dog owners, it became clear that people brought their dogs there to be able to run off leash. It's about a 3 mile loop thru the woods...so i'd recommend hiking boots if you're going to give it a go. :)

We are often in the Portland area, and we like Portland Head Light to run/play off leash. I'd be interested to know other nice places to walk off leash so if anyone else has suggestions...

I've also heard that the Bowdoin Athletic Fields are nice to let them run...but it's iffy if your's dog's recall isnt great...the fields are surrounded by road.

Alas, this probably wont help as it's not even close to Orono! :doh:

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We live just outside of Bangor in Hampden! I was born and raised in Bangor and my parents still live there. We have a good sized yard, so we usually let our dogs run around in the yard and we go for lots of hikes in the woods behind our house and long walks around our neighborhood. During the summer, we take them swimming at Hermon Pond, which allows dogs, but we try to go when there aren't many other people around so that the dogs don't bother anyone. We're going to be getting a dog park here in Hampden soon, according to the town newsletter. DH and I aren't really huge fans of dog parks, but we may check it out and see what it's like when it opens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts