Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some of the breeders websites that have been recommended here just to see the dogs, and I was wondering what made you decide to start breeding GR and how did you get started with it?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well... I started with the idea of buying my first golden and then breeding her for wonderful puppies about 5 years before any of it ever come to happen... good thing I wasn't in a rush!

I bought my first golden from a very nice breeder who was able to steer me towards the basics of titles and clearances - what I didn't realize at the time was how much more there is to it than that. I started competing with my girl in confirmation but never got anywhere (mostly due to my novice handling and her VERY gay tail), just before she was a year old we found out she had juvenille cataracts.... a few months later she was spayed. A few years passed and we completed her CD title and I was ready to try again. By then I had a better idea of what made a good dog and what I wanted to produce (other than just puppies) and found another breeder whose dog I liked and spoke with her about a "show" puppy. Pyper took almost 2 years to finish (again due mostly to my novice handling) think big bucks, I then had her clearances done (more big bucks) and found a stud whose owner has probably been the biggest influence on my breeding career. Our first breeding never took (more bucks) with a repeat producing 6 beautiful puppies and the highest level of stress I have ever experienced (why did I do this to my poor girl?). It has been a very hard/long road and I still have so much to learn (I never want to stop), I think the keys are patience, research and abudance of funds. In the 9 years since I got my first golden I have had 3 litters with a total of 15 puppies (one which I kept and 1 which was returned) and spent more money on the love of my dogs and this addiction to dog sports than I could ever make back...LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts