Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband usually takes our Goldens for walks everyday, but I suspect our girl may be going into heat & we won't want to be walking her because I don't really know what males are around. It is going to drive her nuts becaue she knows after Daddy is home, a walk will soon follow, she usually starts rounding around & barking because she is so excited to go.
What do we do for the 3 weeks? Any suggestions welcome.

Also, any suggestions on what what worked for you as far as "pad holders"? Fortunately we have a large kitchen with laminate floors she can be most the time. Our 1st Golden, you barely knew she was in heat, it was never a problem, & she would leave on shorts. I doubt Kadence will leave on much of anything, I can't even keep a bandanna on her or she tears it up.

Thank you

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
You of course can buy some pad holders made for dogs, or I have heard that boys underwear works really well. Just put the tail through the fly and supervise her at first.

You can exercise her in the yard, and I believe I read somewhere on this forum that someone would actually drive their dog somewhere to walk them so the boys would not get the scent. If the dogs are leashed where you go you should be fine. There is only a window of a few days up to a week I believe where she can actually get pregnant--so when she is receptive definitely no walking. Good luck!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have been worrying about this too. I have never had a dog in heat before. We are letting Maya go through one heat cycle for health reasons because she has a very small vulva, thus a tendency towards vaginitis and UTIs. I want to be extremely careful about it, but I also don't want her to go insane during that time. She generally gets to run off leash in the woods every day. Obviously she won't be able to do that. We don't have a fenced yard, so I'm going to have to exercise her outside on a leash. I was wondering about things like pepper spray to have on hand if necessary. What I think my vet told me is that the first sign of heat is swelling of the vulva. Later the discharge changes from red to pink to cream colored and that she will be fertile either when it changes from red to pink or pink to cream. I know that the fertile period is just one part of the heat cycle. Does anyone have tips on how to tell when they are fertile? I am a worrier and will keep her on leash throughout the cycle, but if I knew for sure when the fertile time was, I would be less of a nervous wreck!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It is hard to know exactly when they are in the fertile period. In general, when they are receptive or "flagging," they are likely to be fertile. "Flagging" is when the move their tail to the side when another dog sniffs them. It is hard to explain, but you will know it when you see it. However, and this is a HUGE however. They may be fertile at other times in their heat cycle, so BE CAREFUL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts